Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bow Blind(umbrella)?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Bow Blind(umbrella)?

Has anyone of you ever used or know someone who has used one of those bow blinds. They are camo umbrellas that mount in your sabilizer hole and have a hole in 'em to see/shoot through. They look like a pretty neat idea to conseal your draw. Anyone?
Old 08-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bow Blind(umbrella)?

I don't have that particular one , but I got busted by two does last year while hunkered down behind a similar product , and it was a foggy morning . Note to self: Shower before hunting next time ...

I have to think that having something that heavy hanging from your bow could alter your shooting form adversely .
Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 PM

They claim it's really light. It only measures like 36". They claim it actual work like a sabilizer and reduced shock/vibration. Just don't know any one who has used one. Any one know who makes it? Or where to get/look at one?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

It's a relatively new product , I only saw it once just before season last year , haven't seen one outside of this site though .

Acts like a stabilizer ? Pffftttt ! I didn't see anything on it that looked like it could absorb or dissipate vibration . It reminds me of the one I have , a Port-A-Roof , and neither of them have any vibe blocking capability . There's nothing on the shaft that looks like a shock absorber of any kind . Weight isn't the only consideration either , what about wind ? My Sims Modular won't act like a sail when the wind kicks up , that thing will , and it will wait for the worst possible moment to do it .
Old 08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not used one personally but I would have a hard time believing all of their claims without giving one a thorough workout. Drawing on a tom or buck typically involves movement with more than just the bow arm. That movement would be transferred right into the blind. Bush-looking or not, that movement is going to catch game's attention and potentially spook it.

As for it acting as a noise and vibration reduction device....it is lightweight and just an attachment to allow the umbrella section to open up then I don't see how it could do it. If the handle had some Sims Navcom material installed inside of it or was free floating like a doinker then maybe but without either of those I would be hard pressed to believe noise and vibration reduction.

Sorry for being the pessimist but they are just my thoughts.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Spike

There is one called Adavanish:
http://www.triplecrownoutdoor.com/

I have one and plan totry it out this year. Idid practice with it a few times last year and found if its windy it can be difficult to hold the bow steady. I also would like it a little better if it was more rigid, with all the moveable parts(it folds down to one of those small umb's) there seems to be some slop when its fully extended. I do like the concept.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

""EVERYONE KNOWS ITS WINDY"" doe doe doe doe doe