Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

what GPS are you using?

Old 07-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what GPS are you using?

Another nice thing about Garmin is that you can get updates off their web site to take care of any glitches that might occur over time.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:19 AM
Spike

I've been using the Garmin 76 for a few years now. It's a non mapping GPS, but I carry topo maps printed from Maptech. So I didn't feel I needed a mapping one.
I like the word printed on the buttons and the large, high-res. screen.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:21 AM

I have the Magellan Sport Track Color which I got off of eBay for $150 with the street software. Picked up the topo software for $60 from eBay also. It's a nice unit with good battery life. I think the color option is nice. Makes it easier to distinguish waypoints and terrain features but probably not necessary. I just couldn't pass it up for the price.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:26 PM

Garmin GPS Map76S. Works great except in heavy wooded areas. The best GPS for the hunter and fisherman.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Using a E-trex, made by garmin I think... works fine for me..
Old 07-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Magellan Sportrack Map and I do like using it. The mapping feature is invaluable in my opinion. Not as much memory, or a color monitor, like some units but more than enough for the frequency and type of use that I am typically involved in. For the price it is a tough one to beat.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:36 PM

I use a Garmin eTrex and it may not be the fanciest on the market however it has everything I need to find those benches, parks etc.
No complaints here!
Old 07-31-2005, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: kshunter

ORIGINAL: HuntElk4Fun

ORIGINAL: RIStrutStopper

not sure what the color screen buys you....
Color topos/waypointsand less battery life. About it. Save your money IMO unless you plan on staring at the nice screen all day. Then it's worth it. Most of us just gather points and get back to the truck with them, color just isn't needed. But like most things, just because it's not needed doesn't mean it's not fun to have!
The color units do have a few more options. Taking the LegendC vs Legend for example, the Legend C has a longer battery life, easier to read color screen, 3 times as much memory for mapping, stores more user-data, GUI/easier to use operating system, faster and more common USB interface, and the Auto-routing feature(probably the biggest feature). So that is basically what the color unitsbuy you.

I use a Garmin and wouldn't recommend using anything but them. They're the best all-around units for features, quality, accuracy, price, and support. Garmin has 80% of the handheld GPS market because they are the best in the industry. Just my 2 cents.
Amen on the Garmins -- yes the do have a few things, but IMO it just isn't worth the money. When we get hunting, we really just don't use those extra things. Auto routing would be nice though. My father-in-law has the 76CS and we use it the same we use the original Legend, his is just prettier to look at.

I would recommend that anyone who buys one, get the mapsource CD's. Those are invaluable in the mountains in the West IMO. Can't vouch for the Eastern hunting terrain, but worth every penny out here. Even if you need to save the $$$ in the beginning, at least get one capable for down the road.

Regarding the where to buy one, I got mine off eBay with the mapsource CD, etc. for a steal.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

All the fancy bells and whistles are usually redundant and are features not used so we all 8 of us use the Magellan 315. Simple, quick, easy, and very accurate.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Count me in on the eTrex legend, I love mine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.