Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Feathers of Vanes?

Old 07-19-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Feathers of Vanes?

Right now I shoot the Goldtip Hunter Expidition 5575 with vanes and I have have wanted to switch to the Goldtip Pro hunter 5575 with feathers. Would this make my arrows fly better and faster?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feathers of Vanes?

It depends. A well tuned bow/arrow setup is what makes an arrow fly well. In less than perfect shots feathers will do a better job of stabilizing an arrow quicker, especially with broadheads on it. There is an initialspeed gain with feathers, usually about 5fps, as they are much lighter than vanes. They do tend to shed speed quicker due to the increased drag, but there won't be noticable difference till the arrow reaches about 50 yards. After that the vanes will retain a greater percentage of the initial velocity.

Feathers should be treated for water prior to hunting as they will lay down after getting soaked. I don't find it much of an issue with a well tuned setup, as I actually tune mine to be able to shoot a bare shaft with broadheads. Fletching almost isn't needed inside 30 yards. There are several products that can be used to treat feathers to shed water.

All told, I like the additional confidence I get from knowing I have the best guidance system on my arrows for those less-than-perfect situations.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:57 AM

You also look at wera and tear. I fine feathers are much more dependable. But, if your hunting in rain they suck and lay down on you. I think they are faster but like he said a good bow makes all the difference.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was shooting feathers... Now I am shooting vanes... Can't tell if I like them any better or worse yet....
Old 07-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Use to shoot vanes and now shoot feathers. Will never go back to vanes unless they come up with something extraordinary.

Birds don't have plastic wings do they?

You do have to water proof feathers but there are a bunch of products that will do that for you. IMHO the benefits of feathers far outweight that one negative.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Agreed.