Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Slick Tricks arrive..

Old 07-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Slick Tricks arrive..

Just assembled them, they are one tough little warhead with strong thick blades.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slick Tricks arrive..

ik i was putting the 2nd blad on and the top blade was stickin out so i carefully pressed it against a corner i used me ddryer but i just tried not damaging the blades or ...me
Old 07-09-2005, 07:23 PM

What company makes them?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

slicktrick.net
Old 07-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Simmons is the company I believe.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:39 PM

great broadheads huh???
Old 07-11-2005, 01:36 PM

They are definitly a good shooting head but like all the new heads with the short blades they have a chance to kick off. It happened to me last year because I was so high up in the tree and the angle of the shot caused the head to kick down off a rib and did not penetrate. Talk about being upset. I guess its like everything else there is no perfect broadhead that works best in every situation..
Old 08-05-2005, 06:09 AM

"It happened to me last year because I was so high up in the tree and the angle of the shot caused the head to kick down off a rib and did not penetrate." If you examine what you wrote, an old timers saying comes to mind. A good workman doesn't blame his tools. If you were, as you said, so high up in the tree the angle caused the problem, it isn't the head that is at fault, it is the shot you took. Tricks have the tip well ahead of the blades to penetrate as well as anything out there, and if they don't penetrate nothing else will either. Being so high in a tree to get a greater advantage over a deers nose defeats the purpose when you finally get a shot and have a bad angle. If you don't hit the spine, you have a good chance you will only get 1 lung anyway, and good luck chasing a deer that still has a lung. Finally, the hand is quicker than the eye, and the deer is quicker than the hand. Nobody can tell for certainty if the deer moved before the arrow hit or not. No doubt everybody has experienced or heard somebody say I hit him perfect and recover the animal to find out it wasn't close. The problem with such an extreme angle is if the animal happens to take a tiny step or shift position slightly as you release there is no shot at all as there would be with a better angle. If the animal moves slightly or if you are slightly off the mark the arrow heads down the side of the ribs, which isn't deflection but a bad shot. Tricks have been out since 2001 and thousands of hunters in the US, Canada, Alaska, Africa have used them in all sorts of situations and found they do the job with no problem. There are good broadside and quartering shots, and there are extreme quartering shots that are no good with any head. Quartering to shots are not good either, if you look at the angle you will either hit the shoulder blade and risk hitting a ridge that no head will penetrate, or you will likely only get the near lung, not good either. Good practice for a good shot is envisioning a rectangular box the shape of a deer, and envisioning the two lungs in the front of the box sitting side by side. Imagine sticking a long pin down through the box at different angles and see if you have good odds of hitting both lungs. For instance, if you are high overaquarteringdeer, you will see that there is a very small target, and a good chance you will only get one lung and if you are off slightly the arrow will be aimed down the ribs. Don't know how high you were, but there is a good reason most bowhunters don't get up over 20 feet. Most find 14 or 15 gives them the advantage of scent going up and being out of the line of sight of the animal, and gives them a good angle shot. Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well said Owl Hoot
Old 08-05-2005, 01:32 PM

As I stated there is no perfect head for every situation. I did say I was high up but I didnt mean 40 Ft. I was probably about 25 FT. I also was 25 yards away from the main trail to avoid any straight down shot at the spine.I've been hunting deer for25 years and I now all aboutthe different angles and where a deer should be shot and when not to shot if the angle is wrong. I don't feel that a 25 Yd shot from 25 Ft up should kick off the deer. I certainly didnt mean to come across as saying it was only the broadheads fault. It just wasn't thebucks day to go for whatever reason. I understand that you are in the business of selling these heads but this was just my opinion. Alot of people on here love Muzzy heads for example and if they had a bad experience with one they would probably start shooting something else. I still think the Tricks fly great and are a quality head. I only switched because I personnally lost faith and that certainly doesnt mean the heads are no good. Nobody should be hunting with any equipment that they feel uncomfortable with. Thats why there are so many choices out there. I thing I like about this site is getting to hear about everyones opinion about a product through their experiences and I was just putting my opinion out there.

Quick Reply: Slick Tricks arrive..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.