Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 MUZZY 3-BLADE OR 4-BLADE >

MUZZY 3-BLADE OR 4-BLADE

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

MUZZY 3-BLADE OR 4-BLADE

Old 06-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Spike

Default MUZZY 3-BLADE OR 4-BLADE

I am in the process of setting up my new Mathews Switchback with carbon arrows and 100 grain broadheads. I used to shoot Thunderheads but I now want to switch to Muzzys. I like the way they shoot but cannot decide on the 3 blade or 4 blade. I notice the cutting diameter is 1 1/8 with the 3 blade to 1 inch on the 4 blade. I would like to hear what kinda penetration and blood trails you get with both. Thanks alot

Mathews shooter for life
John 14:6
Old 06-17-2005, 08:25 PM

Default RE: MUZZY 3-BLADE OR 4-BLADE

I admit I am not a real experienced bow guy, but I had problems with the 4 blade not flying well. Put the 3 blade on the exact same arrow and ithit within an inch of my field point. I dont know why, so I just stuck with the 3 blade. Bothwere 100 gr Muzzy's. I hunt elk and mule deer and the pro shop said the 3 blade will usually penetrate better than the 4 blade. Someone else may have much better technical explanation, but that wasmy experience with them.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should also look at the Slick trick 100 4 blade. Very good reviews on them from what I can see. I will be trying them myself on mybear huntthis fall. I think that 4th blade gives a little more cutting surface and should be more effecient.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, what Terry said.

Slick tricks are bad through the bone where as muzzies are only bad to the bone.

Best broadhead made today.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Spike

Thanks for everyones input. I also have heard alot about the Slick Tricks. When it comes to hunting gear I noramally like to go with something proven over the years. I know Muzzys have a good reputation. The more I read reviews and specs on the Slick Trick, the more I want them. I like the fact that they have a 1 1/8" cutting diameter compared to the Muzzy 4 blade of only 1 inch. Plus that look sick. Really good chance that I will shoot 100 grain Slick Tricks on some Carbon Express arrows.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definately give the Slick Trick's a try. I have always been partial to Thunderheads, mainly because they were scary sharp, easy to tune and I could always get them to fly better than a 4 blade head.

After a lot of reading on the Slick Tricks I decided to try one. They fly great....I will be using them along with the Thunderheads this year to compare the results.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Slick Tricks are definitely a worthy head and continue to gain a larger and larger following, year after year. I have always had very good success with the Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain heads though and used them exclusively before switching over to Rockets 3 years ago.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:09 PM

I shot the 4 blade Muzzy's last year with no problems. I have not tried the 3 blade Muzzy but plan to this summer. I thought about the slicks as well but the steep blade angle has held me off of them, seems like they would skid off bones on a close steep angled shot.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

After more than 20 years of using other broadheads, I switched to Muzzy's a couple years ago. I shoot the 3 blade 125 grain Muzzy's and have had excellent results. In the two years I've been using them, I've taken 10 or 11 deer with them and most never made it over 45 yards. Thunderheads are also very good and I hear good things about the slick tricks, but I've had any personal experience with them.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

I used the muzzy 4 blade 100 gr. last year, and shot a 4 pointer from 31 yards. The arrow passed through the lungs and buried in the ground. The deer ran about 40 yards and down he went. There was blood EVERYWHERE. You couldnt have asked for more.

Quick Reply: MUZZY 3-BLADE OR 4-BLADE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.