Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Question on arrows

Old 05-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question on arrows

I'm using an entry level bow (60#) and took the salesman's recommendation on arrows...carbon "Storms" 50/65. I am pleased with how they shoot but was curious about the 50/65....what does that designate?

And, if I were away from home and needed to buy new arrows wherever I could get them, what would be acceptable if I couldn't find a match for these arrows?

And finally, How do these particular arrows compare with other brands and such?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on arrows

You have a good question there. How would you replace them with something that matches? I don't know. I've never even heard of them and I know most all the arrows made. Don't think you'll find too many places that sell them.

Let's get to the crux of it. The 5065 designation is a way of determining spine within certain parameters. The numbers mean that the arrow is designed to be shot with bows ranging from 50lb to 65lbs. But that isn't all there is to it. Most carbon arrows are specified in some manner like this, but what some don't know is that this is with a 29" arrow. Depending on your drawlength and the length of the arrow you intend to shoot you can vary from this. In other words, say you are shooting a bow at 65lbs with a 31" arrow. You would be well advised to shoot the next heavier spined arrow to assure proper flight. If you shoot the same weight at 27" you might be able to shoot a slightly lighter spined arrow, although this one would work just fine. With any arrow, but especially carbons it's always better to err on the side of a little stiff than too limber.

If you plan to replace these in the future you could probably substitute with something like a Gold Tip 5575 or Beman?Easton ICS 400. Most likely what you have is an entry level arrow that isn't as straight as better quality, probably heavier than higher quality ones, too. A good place to start as we all have to start somewhere, but in the future I would recommend upgrading a bit. It's not necessary to buy the highest grade arrows, but something that is straight to within .003" would suffice--and midrange in price, say about $80/doz.

As you learn to shoot better and don't lose them you would be able to tell the difference between arrows of .003" starightness vs .006", but not necessarily .001" vs .003".

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

BGfisher.....thanks for the reply and the info! My curiosity is really up now.... I did a search and found some (not much) mention of "Carbon Storm" arrows at this website [link]http://www.nelsonsarrows.com/HotDeals.htm[/link] and it looks like they have them listed as closeout items. Thats all I could find other than some Storm camo arrows at another site.

This makes me wonder. I walked into an archery shop (reputable) in Austin, Tx. without knowing much about equipment, just wanted to get into archery. The deal I got on the bow and all accessories was in line with prices all over the internet and I was satisfied I got a good enough deal or at least didn't get ripped off. The salesman was really professional....knew I was a beginner and patiently gave me the basics. Never tried to make me feel like an idiot beginner....which I appreciated. He did recommend these particular arrows...and for all I knew at the time, were a name brand and readily available. I went back and bought more arrows as I found the tighter the group you shoot, the more arrows you buy. Then I started looking online at Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, etc. and saw no mention of them but the brands you mentioned and others were in everybody's stock. Sorry I'm rambling here but I'm tossing around the idea that maybe they were unloading some arrows...closeouts...on me. Not a problem...I've been had before, but that would definitely have a bearing on whether I wanted to spend more money with them.

Anyway, the value of the knowledge and advice on here for beginners is priceless! I'm really interested in bow hunting and can see I will expand and upgrade my equipment
as I go. I'll also be expanding my knowledge....already am. THanks again.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

BGfisher....again, thanks for the help. I just called the archery shop and got some good info....makes me feel much better about the dealer. (I'm on a pretty steep learning curve here, but at least I'm making progress.) The person I talked to said the Carbon Storm arrows are actually Beman ICS Hunter 400s that didn't pass the straightness test and are sold with that name. That particular shop is one of the larger outlets for the arrow, but not a whole lot are sold elsewhere.
So....you were right on with your recommendation...If I buy the Beman ICS 400s I'll be getting the same arrow, just straighter (and more $$). Thanks.