Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 What do ya do with the fish >

What do ya do with the fish

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

What do ya do with the fish

Old 05-02-2005, 09:52 PM

Default What do ya do with the fish

I have alwees been interested in bowfishing, but i cant think of any thing to do with the fish. Were i am from we have carp ( I dont know what kind, but they are big, yellow, and ugle), and suckers(red hourse, and some gray things). I have never eaten one of these ugle devels and cant imagine that they tast that good. No i have eaten smoked sucker and let me tell ya it was not that good. So if ya guys have a good way to prepare these guys I may convert to the bowfishing way of life.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:19 PM

Default RE: What do ya do with the fish

Go here for a list of recipies for carp and other rough fish. Bowfishing Society
Old 05-03-2005, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Ain't them ugle things cute? Carp needs all the red meat cut off and thrown away. Even better de-boned. Last year I did about 14 fish fries with carp, and people were amazed - usually that someone who they thought didn't like fish was eating it up.

One other thing - where abouts are you? It might help to get with someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:50 PM

Thanks Guys, sorry I didnt check back right away. I am from Michagan, way up north in Marquette. Around here all we have are suckers but about 3 hour drive and ya get into some monster carp in Lake Michagan, but I havent checked the regs yet.
THaks for the info and hope to here back
Old 05-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Fishhunter, how do you de-bone carp? Do you have a link to a site that explains it with pics or anything?

Thanks,
SS
Old 05-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

It's hard to explain it. I learned just by doing. Basically you just cut the meat from around the bones. After a few you learn where the bones are. You don't get as much meat, but what you get is very high quality - just made a few more converts to carp at the Branson Bow Bash this past week.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:28 PM

If you dont like the meat just give it to the salvation army food banks.
They wll be happy to take it off of your hands. They will even try to pay you for it!
Old 06-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

we give all of our fish to this old black fella down the road.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:10 AM

Word to the wise.....

Carp significantly biomagnify pollutants and other chemicals in their flesh. Eating them can be hazardous. I wouldn't reccomend eating them unless you know they came from a clean lake, and even then only in small quanities.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

As for carp...
I just whack 'em and stack 'em. (This does not mean I leave a pile of bloody fish on the bank for others to smell and trip over.)
Anybody that wantsmy carpfor any purpose is welcome to have all I can shoot.
I'll even carry them to their car.

I do have about half a dozen rotting in my garden, and I can't wait to see how well my plants do.

Other bowfishing quarry I might eat, but I'd have to find a way to make it taste good.

Quick Reply: What do ya do with the fish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.