Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 How Do I Get Started ? >

How Do I Get Started ?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

How Do I Get Started ?

Old 08-17-2004, 10:40 PM

Default How Do I Get Started ?

hello, i have never bow fished before. it sounds like alot of fun and i have always been interested but only of late have had the time to try it. what is a good setup for me to start with. i don't figure i should take one of my hunting bows at 70 pounds. what do i need. i don't mind spending a little cash but do not wish to go broke. i can buy a new bow however just for this be it new or used, what is a good poundage and good set-up. i would be greatful for any help ya'll could give. i've read alot of these posts and it sounds like ya'll are some great people. thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 03:26 PM

Default RE: How Do I Get Started ?

You need an arrow, and some type of reel. If you shoot a compound bow, I would use a round wheel or a onieda bow at around 40-50 lbs. Mainlt for the smooth draw you get when compared to a cam bow. A lower let off also seems to be popular. Recurves should be 50-60 lbs., I like the short lite bows. Bear makes a 48 in. recurve that looks perfect for bowfishing...around$250.
The simplest reel i think are the large spincast reels like the synergy 4003s. Bout $18 at wallmart. A good reel seat, and your all set. Dont recomment the cabled or safety slide arrows with the spincast reels, as you can forget to press the button and still draw and shoot. Most important is a good pair of polarized sunglasses, I like brown. And a place to hunt fish! Where are you located?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:16 PM

I am going to be using my Outback next year. I got it kind of late this year. I bought the AMS bowfishing combo. It comes with a reel, two arrows,with broadheads, line, rest for the heavy arrows, and a video to give you pointers on being more accurate. The video shows them bowfishing everything from carp to alligator, it is really fun to watch. The reel just lets the line slide out withoout having to press a button, to reel it in you pull a lever and it pinches the line between two wheels and you can reel it in, its a great setup. The reel mounts right to where your quiver would mount on your sight. it runs about $110 and it works great.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got a good starter set. The AMS Retreiver reel is very good. My suggestions are practice and tne your arrow. Buy an extra point or arrow that you can remove the barbs and shoot into a target. Make sure your full slide system is set -up. It will also give you practice reeling your Retreiver. If your shooting high poundage, it may be hard to get those fiberglass arrows to fly real true. You may need to try less poundage.

Another thing that would be great, join the soon to be formed MN bowfishing club! Guys are always willing to help out new bowfisherman. Its addicting, and great spring/summer conditioning for your arm. 100 to 150 shots a day are quite common!

Have fun!
Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

I recommend a 40-50lb recurve with a retriever reel. The spincasts are good... I'm just too forgetful to remember to press that button every time. [&:]

If you go with a retriever, definitely use safety slides on your arrow. Don't tie to the back of the arrow. It's dangerous.

A recurve has advantages over a compound, but really anything that will fling an arrow will do. They even make bowfishing slingshots.

You could even use a 70lb compound. You'll just be spending most of your time trying to wrestle your arrow back out of the mud/weeds/stumps.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome U.A.L.

Yup, a light recurve is the way to go.
Less than 40 pounds and you can't shoot those heavy fiberglass arrows very far, and too much draw weight will cost you arrows and time, like AV said.
If you want to use a compound, round wheels with minimal letoff and a smooth draw work best.
Some shots will only present themselves for a few seconds, and you have to shoot fast.
There is not always time to wait for a hard cam crank over, get a solid anchor, find a sight picture, and then release.

The cheapest setup ($15), not including the bow and arrows, is a hand wound drum that mounts on the front of the bow.
It's very slow in regards to getting setup for the next shot. I know because that's what I have.
It's simple and pretty foolproof, but I'll be upgrading soon.

The next level of expense ($40-$50) is a regular spincasting reel that mounts on the side of the bow using a special adapter. They are the fastest way to retrieve an arrow. Amazingly fast. EJD can take 2 or 3 shots with his reel for each shot I get. The only hitch is you have to remember to hit the release button before each shot.

The most expensive setup I've seen is the AMS retriever ($60-$100).
It seems to get the arrow back fairly quickly, has no botton to remember to release, adn is great for heavier line if you're going after bigger fish in saltwater.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:14 PM

When i shoot carp next year i will turn my outback down to about 60 pounds or less and i should have an easy time pulling it back. I was using my dads razortec at about 65 pounds and i hit one in the top of the head, right in the eye, it was actually a pretty cool shot, and it didnt even go in at all, only one barb caught. i think my outback will work pretty good. My dad has an old fred bear recurve but i couldnt attach the reel to it. I am lefthanded too so i would have to find a lefthanded recruve.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Light weight bows are good but most of those people are night shooters. Your from Minnesota just like me, and we cannot shoot at night. Are shooting consists of day light somewhat spookier fish which lead to longer shots and often deeper shots. Its pretty tough shooting a fish 7 or 8 feet deep with a 40 lb. bow. I shoot 70 lb. Parker UL 31 compound. My buddy shoots a 80 lb. hoyt compound. (he is two time state bowfishing champion). Needless to say we have to make special custom bowfishing arrows, no fiberglass for us!

Have fun!
Old 08-22-2004, 07:56 PM

I have just used the AMS fiberglass arrows and they work pretty good. Wow, 8 feet deep. That must be a pretty good shot.