HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   reel on a recurve (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/63423-reel-recurve.html)

take-em 06-12-2004 07:46 AM

reel on a recurve

Hey,
I've got a recurve bow and I was wondering if there are any reels that would fit on it. I could make one but first I want to see if I can buy one.

TAKE-EM

Carpmaster 06-12-2004 08:25 AM

RE: reel on a recurve

Unless your recurve is tapped for a "stabilizer" hole or for a sight, you pretty much have to go with a tape on, that is all I use and it works fine. I have been loking for another one but they are hard to find. I paid about $12 for the one i have and I hed to go to my proshop and have them special order it for me, they are out there. Good luck with it.

E.J.D. 06-12-2004 01:42 PM

they also sell a thing called a gadget adaptor....its a threaded stabilizer hole mounted in a block of plastic, and has thick rubber straps on it to hold it to your bow. one goes where the stabilizer goes, one for the sight side if you want to mount a reel there. then you need a reel seat, and i like to use synergy spin cast reels, with 200 lb. fastflight line.

Carpmaster 06-13-2004 02:12 PM

Hey EJD i am interested in the gadget adaptor do you know where to get one??? Thanks

JRW 06-14-2004 07:42 AM

You can buy reels and adapters from Three Rivers Traditional Archery by clicking here.

You can get adapters to mount reels to the front of your recurve/longbow, to the side of the riser. A friend of mine uses the AMS bracket and Retriever Reel on his recurve and the mount is rock solid.

E.J.D. 06-14-2004 09:34 AM

you can also call sullys bowfishing stuff.....think the website is www.sullysbowfishing.com ...
hes a great guy, and has been involved with bowfishing for years. theres a 800 number on the site, you can call him direct. got an online cat. where you can see pics of the adaptor also. i ordered a new gaff last monday, it was at my house on weds.!

Chessbum 06-14-2004 02:37 PM

What I did on my Recurve was cut out leather patches and tywrapped a Retriever Reel to it. The way the trigger sits on the reel makes it about as good as one can get with a recurve. I have tried out the Retriever on my longbow but it did not feel right. I then bought a wrap around Great Northern adapter on my longbow and tried it and it was very awkward to shoot and retrieve with a Howard Hill longbow. Another thing I have noticed is the fibre glass arrows are not spinned corectly it seems for my longbow where it is not critical in a center shot recurve. My longbow is 68" and not as compact as a recurve for shooting from my boat with out banging the bow up. I have two recurves I use, one with the Retriever,and one with an old Bear clip on type that you wrap line around. I also am working on using a Zebco 808 and the adapter thingy I mentioned but my advice is buy a Retriever and stick it permantly on your recurve (so you don't lose it overboard.) and you can't go wrong. I may add get the arrows with the safety slides on them.

HNI_Christine 06-14-2004 03:41 PM

We use retriever reels.

If you don't mind having holes in your recurve, just screw/bolt the retriever right to the bow.

It will look like this.

(bow is upside down in this pic)

HNI_Christine 06-14-2004 03:43 PM

If you have a nicer recurve and want to keep it pretty, then you can use the rubber strap adaptor doodads.

Here's one on my hubby's bow.

HNI_Christine 06-14-2004 03:46 PM

Another view.

I think a creative person could save the $20.00 and make an adaptor using some inner tube rubber and a wooden block.

The adaptor is nice tho'.