HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   Illinois Bowfishing Club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/63382-illinois-bowfishing-club.html)

HNI_Christine 06-11-2004 03:32 PM

Illinois Bowfishing Club

Illinois does not currently have any type of organized bowfishing association. I know somebody that has taken some big steps to change that. (he posts here as 'E.J.D.')

If you are interested in becoming part of an IL club/assoc. please post here or contact me.

There will be NO DUES. (at least, not for now) We will be putting together a newsletter with pictures and fishing reports. We can have some fun group shoots. As a club we can better promote bowfishing and address any concerns.

You don't have to be big into bowfishing. Even if you've never bowfished, but would like to learn, feel welcome to join. (it's a great learning opportunity)

Thanks!

-Christine

buttonbuckmaster 06-11-2004 03:43 PM

RE: Illinois Bowfishing Club

Where at in Illinois? I'm interested.

HAZCON7 06-11-2004 06:42 PM

Bow shot some carp last year. What Fun!!!

not sure what else to bowfish for in IL so I guess I'd be interested in joining a club to learn more.

Besides, what else is there to do between seasons? lol

E.J.D. 06-11-2004 07:35 PM

hazcon...there is great buffalo shooting on the illinois miss. and kankakee, nice longnose gar...and this year, anywhere below starved rock there are the very large silver and bighead carp. also pick up a bowfin now and then. ill put some club details up shortly....
im in the northern part of the state, but bowfish all over..there are some good bowfishers all over the state.

HAZCON7 06-11-2004 09:13 PM

I'd definately be up for travel as long as someone was there to point me in the right direction.

Chessbum 06-12-2004 01:59 PM

Christine, Lou my buddy and I took off bowfishing last Sunday not far from B4K where you where at on Lake St. Clair. While we did not hit any we did get some shots off at a big carp. Saw several others but they saw us and where gone fast. The next day Lou who unlike me is retired shot a 32 pound carp from the shore. We are heading back out Sunday in my boat to see if we can hook up with some.
John

HNI_Christine 06-14-2004 03:54 PM

So how'd you do on Sunday John?

My biggest carp so far is a 20-ish pounder. I've seen bigger, but I get 'big carp palsy' and can't hit them. [:@]

HAZCON7,

I went out on the Kankakee on Saturday. I didn't cover much of the river at all but from what I saw, it's a really good place to go.

I think the club will try to have get togethers in several places. Central, South, North... where ever we can get some shooters together. ;)

Chessbum 06-14-2004 04:14 PM

Sunday I went out around Lake St. Clair despite the tornado warnings for several hours and didn't see a thing. My buddy Lou backed out on going with me because he more than likely has more brains than I do. Brought the boat in and drove home just as the storm hit us big time. If I would have been out in that I don't think I would have made it back in. Would have gone out tonight except my wife reminded me it is my son's birthday and we are heading off to Olga's. Maybe tommorow night. THis weekend I will be at Compton's with my daughter. Anyone know if that river that flows through the event has any carp?

coyote caller 06-14-2004 10:27 PM

Chessbum....

The next time you go out on Lake St. Clair try hitting some of the canals, or the weedy areas between Metro beach, and Huron point, by the mouth of the clinton river. There's also some great carp shooting if you go up the spillway a little ways and watch along the banks for carp activity. Since the water in the lake is still somewhat low, the canals provide some excellent shooting. Just stay away from peoples boats and you'll be fine.
Good luck the next time out.

Bulzeye 06-16-2004 11:14 AM

RE: Chessbum....

I'm in!
I've shot carp with a bow for 20 years, but I'm running out of spots to do it.
Almost every place I knew of has become off-limits, because some idiot gets hurt or does something stupid.
It seems most of the municipalities have outlawed shooting a bow too unless you're at a public range.

Anyway, I'm in Plainfield near 55 and 80, and I love carping!