Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Shark and Stingray Hunting >

Shark and Stingray Hunting

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Shark and Stingray Hunting

Old 06-16-2004, 03:18 PM

Default RE: Shark and Stingray Hunting

Cool story and great pics!
Old 06-16-2004, 03:50 PM

nice ray! in a carolina skiff too!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:19 PM

Nice Rays T in PA. Chincoteague is a great place isn't it. That is where I do all of my ray hunting. My family owns a House just across the channel from the Assateague Light House and I spend a decent amout of time there each year. I'd imagine you were hunting in the area of oyster bay, there is always good ray hunting there. We like to go up to the northern tip of Chincoteague to Wildcat point and hunt there. With a good boat it only takes about 20- 30 minutes to get up there. Chincoteague is like my second home. I've been going there since I was 5 and I am 27 now. Been hunting rays since I was 10 or 12. My dad and his friends have been hunting rays in the Chincoteague area for 30 years or so. They used to get a bunch of guys and go for weekend hunting trips. Sometimes as many as 5 or 6 boats of guys racing around after the rays. In fact a few years back my dad bought a Chincoteague scow specifically because it has a nice large bow where you can stand while hunting for rays. Those rays do fight though, especially if you shoot them in the wing, they just have so much leverage that way. Best thing is to try and shoot them in the center of the body. Hey maybe if you get the itch to hunt for rays again we can get together a go after them or if your writer buddy from the story wants to go along. Our house can sleep 8 so we have plenty of room, no charge. I have a 2 buddies that are dying to try it, so maybe when I get that trip together. Just let me know
Old 06-22-2004, 02:59 AM

If you can tan the skins, they are worth about 55 bucks for medium size ones, smaller than in the picture anyway.

Does anyone know how far north they range? Are they on flats in Maine?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:50 PM

Hey, I noticed your posted on the board here in regards to bowfishing for rays in the Chincoteague Bay. I used to go there every summer for years in years past, but I haven't been at all since I've lived here in Northern Virginia for the past 10 years or so. I've always wanted to try bowfishing for the rays down there, and I noticed from one of your posts that you're pretty avid, and I was curious if you ever take people out on the water to do so. If you do, I'd be very interested in going this summer.

Anyway, you can get back to me at [email protected]. Thanks!

-Warren Gregory, a.k.a. whitewolf393