Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
First timer question? >

First timer question?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

First timer question?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default First timer question?

ok so its my first time bowfishing and i wanna know what to do with the fish after i shoot them? ill be going after sucker and carp and ive heard they aint good for eating?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mortalcare
ok so its my first time bowfishing and i wanna know what to do with the fish after i shoot them? ill be going after sucker and carp and ive heard they aint good for eating?
Ive heard if prepared right they are good to eat but I never was brave enough or wanted to try it yet...lol Depends on your state. Some say dont throw them back some say just throw them on the bank to rot...
Old 06-27-2018, 09:33 AM
Spike

Default Eating carp

Carp can be excellent eating IF prepared correctly. I prefer to fillet and then smoke mine at a low temp. They are bony and some score to cut the bone in bits but I prefer to leave bone whole on large carp. It can also be fried or canned (fish patties from canned carp taste like salmon patties use same recipe. One thing though. There is a dark red line of meat just under the skin. It has a strong flavor most find disagreeable .Cut it out and throw it away before cooking.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Garden fertilizer is a good use. Just don't throw the dead ones back into the water.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

I've caught and are many carp at this point. In my creek I have a deep hole they get caught in when it floods then when the water goes back down they can't get out.

Prepared properly, they're a good eating fish. Although there are allot of Bones. And they really are fun to catch

-Jake