Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
Bow fishing ? onley if you eat them >

Bow fishing ? onley if you eat them

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Bow fishing ? onley if you eat them

Old 06-17-2016, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remember years ago...

of a fisherman who disposed of carp on the banks. A woman who had made eastern European dinners asked if he caught carp. Yes, he tossed them back into the river of pond, he silently thought.
Well he brought home two he next time and left them at he women's home.
Later, the woman came and left two warm fish cakes. They were delicious. To think, he had been leaving delicious fish cakes on the banks of rivers. But, then he was an American and didn't know how to cook eastern European fish cakes.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remember years ago...

of a fisherman who disposed of carp on the banks. A woman who had made eastern European dinners asked if he caught carp. Yes, he tossed them back into the river or pond banks, he silently thought.
Well he brought home two he next time and left them at he women's home.
Later, the woman came and left two warm fish cakes. They were delicious. To think, he had been leaving delicious fish cakes on the banks of rivers. But, then he was an American and didn't know how to cook eastern European fish cakes.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Robm, you have a lot to learn, if you are going to preach a sermon, you should know what you are preaching. Most of the carp we have in the US are German carp, they are not native to North America, we have a few kinds of grass carp that are put into ponds to keep down grasses that are problematic, they are not native either and in my state they have to be sterile or they may not be used. Why are carp all over the country? Because many of the people who came to America from Europe ate carp and wanted carp to eat so they were brought to the US and they most certainly do eat the eggs of game fish and they tear up the habitat by rooting like hogs and pretty much eat everything just like a hog. They are pests, fun to catch and some people do have a taste for them, or fishing for them if you don't eat them. There is not a thing in the world wrong with bow hunting for carp if you don't eat them, I know people who use them for fertilizer in their gardens. The Native Americans did that. Carp are destructive and the populations need to be kept down, the misinformation here is from you.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by robm1093
I am a bow hunter and won’t kill anything that I won’t eat or that can be given to others to eat. I understand the Asian carp are a problem but it seems to me guys are bow fishing just for fun. Is this good Hunting ethics to kill a common carp just for fun? I think not if you’re not eating it or giving it to others to eat then it wrong and other hunters I know fell the same way,. Their are those that will say common carp eat bass eggs and destroy bass habitat but nun of this has ever bin proven and new study suggest it’s all misinformation. Bass eat carp and man takes out the bass and eats all the predators now that the number of predators are low the carp get the balm the same thing happens in polluted water the carp survive and the other fish don’t, wan bass anglers see all the carp and no bass they balm the carp. It’s wrong to kill for fun and that’s what most of those are doing wan that kill common carp with a bow unless you are eating them you must think about this, the Asian carp on the other hand are a problem and you are doing sum good by taken them out. The carp I am talking about are not the Asian carp thay are common. I hunt for food and enjoyment and what I kill gets eaten by me and others. I will never kill just for fun and I think Bow fishing is giving Bow hunters bade rep. If your bow fishing just for the sake of shooting sum fish and calling it practice or fun and just living the carp to rot then you knead to think about this and cheek your self. did you eat those fish ? If not you killed gods creations just for fun and not for food, that’s not the way he planed it

I too understand how you feel. I do eat the fish I take, but the destruction that the invasive carps are causing, in some cases collapsing whole river ecosystems.....I see no problem just killing them for sport. Still better to find others to take them and if you don't want them there are usually those around who will take them off your hand gladly. But my point remains that its better to remove them from the water than leave them in....even if that means leaving them lie.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Run up and down that river about 30-40mph and see what you think about them after you catch one in the mouth. You can eat that one.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:17 AM
Spike

Good Point Jack Ryan!
Old 05-29-2018, 11:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by FLORIDA_BOWFISHING
Ditto. As hunters we enjoy hunting which includes the shooting of game. I doubt it highly that you are hunting for food because you have to. You are doing it because you enjoy it or you would be buying meat at the store. I agree 100% that we must do everything to make sure that the fish are "used" in some way, but that does not always include "eating" them. Some Carp guys use them for fertilizer. The worms ate that day. I for one tried donating my kills to the homeless. They told me to clean them first. Guess what, there were 20 guys outside the Red Cross that could have taken a knife to them. Now I just feed them to the hogs. Much more appreciative than the homeless. NO bowfisher would ever agree with just DUMPING fish. It makes everyone look bad, but rough fish need to be trimmed and it's a blast doing the trimming. Here in Florida we can;t even posses a Grass Carp because they are afraid if they ever get transported to another lake they will take over and kill everything else. I actually have residents on lakes cheering us on sometimes when we are killing the Tilapia because they steal Bass beds and reduce bass populations. Thats a FACT because I have seen them do it. I don;t need a report or a survey to prove it to me. Bowfishing has been one of the greatest sports to ever attract people to the world of Archery and Hunting/Fishing!
Agree with your point.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:16 AM
Spike

Default As a biologist

As a biologist I can assure you that carp got here both from escape and government stocking programs, but just because they were stocked doesn't mean it was a good idea. They most certainly are invasive and do a HUGE amount of damage. They also tend to outcompete our native species of buffalo. In my lifetime I have seen a gradual replacement of buffalo with carp. In many parts of their range buffalo fish are now becoming rare. A tragedy since thsy are far better table fair. Carp also do great damage to some water plant species which would otherwise provide habitat for other fish. And this is just the common carp. Some of the others are far worse. I
Old 06-27-2018, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Carp are no more than aquatic wild hogs and are just as bad for the environment.