Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
getting started?? >

getting started??

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

getting started??

Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Spike

Ok back on topic. (sorta) is say 30-35lbs draw weight ok for say gar and carp or do I want something heavier?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Spike

You would be fine with that weight. I shoot 34 pounds at 28 inch draw on my recurve. Heavier the draw weight the harder it is on arrows when you miss. A ton of guys shoot less weight than that even.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Spike

i bowfish and i have tryed carp its not bad. if it wasnt for bowfishing carp would ruin your bass,pike,walleye fishers we are doing all you guys that fish a favor.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

OK, just got a compound bow. Can you explain how you real the fish in? Is the fishing line tied to the arrow? Do you have it hooked on to a fishing pole? Or do you spool the line on the bow, and then grab it with your hands and real it/tug it in? Or can you get reels to attach to the bow?
Old 06-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Spike

Default Reeling in fish

That in part depends on your setup. Yes the line is tied to your arrow. Most use 80 to 200 pound test made for bowfishing but I prefer 45 pound braided catfish line that reduces the chance of the arrow coming back from a snag (the line breaks) but with the new bottle type reels they have these days it's not really the issue it was when I first started. With a bottle type or a spincast reel you simply reel the fish in. With the block type reel often used by beginners you pull them in hand over hand.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Spike

You would approve of that weight. I shoot 34 pounds at 28 inch draw on my recursive. Heavier the draw weight the harder it is on bolts when you miss. A huge amount of folks shoot less weight than that even.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 AM
Spike

Hi guys i am railey new here ,feeling so nice to get all of you.I want to know about bow fishing from all of you guys by huntingnet. So please give me tips & tricks to get me started, it would be appreciated. thanks