HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   are fish on top in the early fall? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/303291-fish-top-early-fall.html)

09_bobcat 09-10-2009 06:13 PM

are fish on top in the early fall?

Im guiding a group dove hunting in early october down in south texas and was going to get some other activities lined up for them. i was just curious if the fish will still be on the surface in cooler temps? (cool for south texas) like highs in the upper 80s lows in the mid to upper 60s. are they better in the middle of the day sunning? or are they still best in the evening? its carp and gar in the frio river. (as the name implies, the water is fairly cold year round) not sure if that is enough info for yall to figure anything out, let me know what yall think. Thanks for your time and any feedback.

masheel 11-23-2009 12:09 AM

The game plan that September day was for Travis Dixon of Christiansburg and myself to put in at the Peppers Ferry Bridge on the New River around 10:30 and float down to the Whitethorne take-out by dark. Our theory was that the smallmouth bass action would be best late in the evening. We also wanted to meet fans of the Riversmallies.com website at sundown, as that group had arranged for one of their rodeos to be held on the New and to camp out near Whitethorne.

But the brown bass had other plans and were not content to begin biting when low light conditions arrived. Soon after Travis and I launched, I lost a 15-incher, and then, a few minutes later, an 18-inch specimen. Just when I thought my incompetence could not become more obvious, I lost my biggest bronzeback of the year, a fish that Travis and I estimated to run between 22 and 23 inches. The bass smashed a prop bait, and for some three minutes, executed a series of jumps and searing dives. The fourth jump was my undoing, however, as on that leap the bass managed to finally dislodge the topwater.

Severely depressed, I decided to keep heaving the surface lure, and, to my delight, the fish continued to savage it. I ended up landing several smallmouths in the 18- to 20-inch range, plus a number between 12 and 15 inches. And Travis, too, experienced good fortune. And when we arrived at the Riversmallies Rodeo site, we learned that all along the New, anglers had dueled with 18- to 22-inch bass.

sekar49 06-01-2010 04:44 AM

Be courteous. Keep a safe distance from swimmers, water skiers, boats, and other people on the shoreline.

Don’t fish from bridges, boat ramps, courtesy docks, or private docks (unless you have the owners permission). Do not fish from or within any area marked as restricted or prohibited access.

Please keep hold of your trash – it can easily be blown into the water, especially from a moving boat.

Please make sure you remove your litter when leaving your fishing area. Some of the most common litter found in popular fishing spots are drink containers, bait cups, and old fishing line. Not only are these items unattractive, they can be harmful to fish and other aquatic life.

Before boating, make sure you are familiar with the state boating regulations for the state(s) you will be boating in. Don’t leave the shore without all required safety equipment on board.

Although you may be in a hurry to catch a fish - watch your wake and keep a proper distance* from docks and other structures, swimmers, and other boats. It’s the law and it is in place for everyone’s safety.

Do not tie up your boat to buoys or signs.

Wear a life jacket whether you know how to swim or not and dress appropriately for the weather. Most people who drown never intended to be in the water in the first place and drown within 10 – 30 feet of safety; many of them also knew how to swim.
=================
orlando free mls
plumber sydney