Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
Newb to Bowfishing >

Newb to Bowfishing

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Newb to Bowfishing

Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newb to Bowfishing

Ok..all you bowfishing nuts, I want to give bowfishing a try, but I was think about picking up another in-expensive bow to do so...a PSE Firestorm...and setting that up for bow fishing...shoot me some thoughts... is that bow OK...its a 60#.
Quite interested...looks like a blast!
Old 07-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

60 lbs is to much i would go with 50 .Because it will wear you out . I still shoot a 60 lb recurve when I am shooting alligator gar . But when I shoot carp I don't go to full draw . But the pse firstorm don't let down to 50 I would get a 50 lb. recurve or a 50 lb compound .
Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the addiction!
First off, a separate bow is a great idea, but 60# draw weight is way more poundage than needed. You're shooting 3-20lb fish at very close range and many shots will be very quick.
If you haven't done so yet read "Bowfishing Basics" (a sticky thread at the top of the page here) Writer Jason Wesbrock gives a good overview of the choices in equipment.
My advice to anyone starting out, choose a bow that you are comfortable with. Low poundage is best. I'd say for a compound, 25-40#, for a recurve, 35-50#.
For a rest, Keep it simple. There are a lot of options here. Most are good. Just remember that fiberglass fishing arrows are too heavy for most drop away "hunting" rests. I shoot a recurve and like to shoot off the shelf. I usually just glue a piece of leather on the shelf instead of a hair rest. Whisker Biscuit(w/bowfishing biscuit), Muzzy fishhook, AMS wave rest, Tri Loop are all good options.
Reels...Here's where I get specific. I recommend to anyone starting out, use an AMS retreiver reel and AMS safety slides on your arrow. No, I don't work for AMS. In fact this is not even the set-up I use. But from what I've seen over many years, this is the easiest, safest way to start.
For arrows, again lots of choices. But it's hard to beat a white fiberglass arrow with a Muzzy or Cajun pirana point. There are better arrows out there, like the yellow jacket or the glo max. But IMO for all around fishing I like white 'glass with a muzzy tip.
I don't recomend sights. But if you find you can't get used to shooting w/o one, use one pin set at 5-10 yards.
God luck and remember to Aim Loooow!
Don't forget to take a camera along. We want to see a picture of that first fish.

Oh yeah, about fish...be sure you know the laws governing Bowfishing where you are. And even more important, (I can not stress this enough!!!) Have a plan on what to do with your fish before you go fishing. Please, please do not just throw them on the bank.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info...I will pick up a 40-50 compound...great info and I have read the sticky...