HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   Big Grass carp (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/289198-big-grass-carp.html)

Jasonlester 03-14-2009 12:57 PM

Big Grass carp

I have a buddy that has a good size pond. He has a bunch of huge grass carp he needs out of there so of course I was more than willing to help. Well one has been acting like it was dying for a while. It stayed at the top not moving much. So I headed over with my 45 lbs Bear grizzly. I had 2 fish arrows which turned out to be a good thing as one head broke.
Anyway my first two shots deflected off the fish. It was clear he had alot if life left in him at the time. But still was dying. When I shot he dove down and withing a little bit floated back up near the surface. When he finaly got near the other shore I got a good shot on him and he took off but my head on that arrow broke and the arrow pulled out. Thankfully he didn't go far as my shot was in his vitals. My next shot he was deeper but I could see him well I had put on a new arrow with a muzzy head (much better head) and put a nice shot on him. Didn't take long after that to get him in but he's heavy. I'd guess every bit of 50 lbs but we didn't have a scale.
Hear are some pics and video from my phone. What do you think.

My 6 year old son with the fish.

Bulzeye 03-14-2009 05:23 PM

RE: Big Grass carp

Nice grassy !!!

bowman15 03-14-2009 06:52 PM

Holy cow! Nice fish.

I heard those taste pretty good, altho I don't know if they're good that size. You could sure get a few good steaks off that one if you wanted.

Jasonlester 03-14-2009 07:19 PM

Never tried carp of any type. The property owner said the fish was about 18 years old. I should have skinned it and used the skins to back some of the bows I make...but I didn't think of it until after I left his place. He has a bunch more he wants thinned out this summer so I'll get another chance. I think he's gonna take the big ones like this out and add in small ones again. I'm more than willing to help him out. LOL....

It'll try to get video of it next time.

Jasonlester 03-16-2009 07:13 AM

A couple more pics that show him better.

It had actually slipped out of my hands in this pic. I was doing everything I could to get him off the ground. (and not get slime all over me)

InstinctSlayer 03-16-2009 05:08 PM

thats pretty cool i wish we had them big bastards around my area

Red Hawk 03-27-2009 05:27 PM

is all i can say - that is one big motha

FLORIDA_BOWFISHING 04-18-2009 06:21 AM

Wish they were legal to shoot here. I know where there's a bunch. They look like torpedos going under the boat when I'm out there.

barrelslime 04-21-2009 07:48 AM

Nice Fish

deyoung25 05-15-2009 06:33 AM

holy CARP!!!!!!!!!I THINK I JUST FOUND THE BIG KAHUNA OF THE LAKE DOWN THERE I CANT GET OVER THAT HUGE FISHY THEY DONT GET THAT BIG AROUND HERE IN WISCONSIN.