Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Equipment?

Old 02-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Equipment?

Ok guys, I know a few guys doing this and may join them on occasion. I would assume you do not use your normal deer hunting bow correct? Would I be best to use my old 45# recurve instead? Also, can you rig one up with a normal fishing reel or not recommended? i honestly do not have a clue here.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Equipment?

the recurve would be great. theres no let-off so you can snap shooot. JW does it a a stabilizer hole in it?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:08 PM

you can also use a reg compound bows. a pawn shop has some good bowfishing bows...it does not have to be pretty to shoot some ugly ass rough fish...plus the price tag usually only run like 30 or 40 bucks
Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

yeah your recurve would be great. as for reels a zebco 888 or 808 will work but it will need to be respooled with 200 lb fast flight.also you will need a reel seat. you can also just get a hand wrap reel. they are cheap and i wouldnt recomend it but it works. a retreiver is great and about thesame cost as a reel and reel seat with line. theyalmost never tear up and there is no button to forget to push.
alsoi would put slides on the arrows to keep the line infront of the bow. less to get tangled on that way. lots safer.
p.m. me for more info or contact bowfishingextreme.com
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 AM

I love the AMS retriever reel, it works great, allows perfect arrow flight, and never gives me a problem. Most people who use the spincast type bowfishing reels really like them as well though. In most bowfishing situations a recurve is perfect, probably better since it is easier to shoot instinctively and quickly when needed. You will end up putting some abuse on your deer hunting bow, but on the plus side if you use the bow you hunt with you will get lots of great practice and really improve your accuracey and comfort with it. If you are taking long shots at deeper fish like I usually end up doing from the bank than a faster compound bow works better. But most peoples bowfishing situations allow closer and shallower shots where a recurve is plenty of bow.