HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   AMS RetrieverPro... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/244732-ams-retrieverpro.html)

ranger56528 05-02-2008 02:35 PM

AMS RetrieverPro...

After 25yrs I finally went out today and bought a AMS RetrieverPro and Muzzy arrow and Rest,Ive had my old Browning Bow sitting around doing nothing so I decided to take the Jump into bowFishing....Just thought I would share,it also gives me another forum to come on and learn.......

I have all kninds of ? but will wait till I go and shoot 1st,the carp should be running soon as my lake is ice free,should be out by Sunday and the Northerns are done running the stream the way it looks so now its Carp time......

I hope its worth the 110.00 investment;).....

Chasebaker 05-02-2008 03:30 PM

RE: AMS RetrieverPro...

Ask questions now so you don't screw up later...

bigcountryok 05-02-2008 03:34 PM

good luck...you'll be addicted in no time.:D

HNI_Christine 05-02-2008 03:46 PM

I recommend getting another arrow. A regular white fiberglass one will be fine. It's seems if you have only one arrow, you'll break or lose it. If you have two, you're okay. :)

Tips on using the retriever: Wet the line before shootingatfish. Try to keep the bottle pointed toward the fish, it won't reel as well if the line is at a 90 degree angle. (I use a 'line guide' to solve that issue) Don't mash the 'trigger' too hard when reeling in.

You'll have a blast!

ranger56528 05-02-2008 05:06 PM

They had carbon arrows but I bought the white one,if it seems to be something that I like I will add a 2nd arrow.
Wetting the line ?....Just pull out say 20ft or soget it wet and real it back in ?.......
Line guide.....A add on to the front of the real I take it.....

Is the AMS a good start........cost 80 bucks...no big deal..

Witch is better glove or mech release..?

My old bow still has a peep site on it should I take it off being how I dont have site pins on it now...

Iam doing a 3-D shoot tomorrow and cant wait to get back home and hit the creek and try my 1st shot.

TEmbry 05-02-2008 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

They had carbon arrows but I bought the white one,if it seems to be something that I like I will add a 2nd arrow.
Wetting the line ?....Just pull out say 20ft or soget it wet and real it back in ?.......
Line guide.....A add on to the front of the real I take it.....

Is the AMS a good start........cost 80 bucks...no big deal..

Witch is better glove or mech release..?

My old bow still has a peep site on it should I take it off being how I dont have site pins on it now...

Iam doing a 3-D shoot tomorrow and cant wait to get back home and hit the creek and try my 1st shot.
Fiberglass arrows work fine, they are easier on the wallet when you loose one.

Wet the line by simply shooting into the water once and reeling back in.;)

AMS is a great start, and finish...lol alot of the "pros" use it. It isnt as fast for the retrieve as spincasts but it is simpler to use in ways as well. You dont have to remember to click the button, your line is always free. Alot of other perks as well.

No on the release, it will slow you up and is not needed. I and many others use no glov tabs on the string so that nothing but fingers are needed. check em out at the link below, they are super cheap and easy on the fingers.
http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=43

Best of luck tomorrow bro, I am headin out for an all nighter next friday...im already stoked.

ranger56528 05-03-2008 05:39 AM

I shoot recurve so the glove is not a prob......

Thanks for the feedback guys........

JRW 05-03-2008 07:29 AM

Good call getting the Retriever. I bought one back in '92 or so and it's still working great. One thing you'll find out quickly is that the reel is much, much more important than the bow.