HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   InFisherman TV shocker (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/230392-infisherman-tv-shocker.html)

dkhunter8383 02-02-2008 12:46 PM

InFisherman TV shocker

I was watching InFisherman TV last week, and I saw something that amazed me. A few guys were fly fishing for carp in a stream, I can understand that, but what bothered me was that after they caught these big ol pigs, they treated them as if they were trout, and let them go right back in the water. WHen you are dealing with an invasive species like the carp why wouldnt you just throw them up on the bank instead of releasing them? I was shocked

Chris_H 02-03-2008 06:38 PM

RE: InFisherman TV shocker

Maybe those carp were protected. You can't possess grass carp here... And, I doubt it would make Infisherman look good to just throw carp on the bank.

AmateurHunter44857 02-03-2008 09:51 PM

I would have been appalled had Infisherman done something like that.

bowman15 02-04-2008 04:02 AM

Even tho carp SHOULD be thrown on the bank/removed from the water, with the politically-correct attitude of the general-public, it would be catastrophic for In-Fisherman if they did something like that.

wingchaser_labs 02-04-2008 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: bowman15

Even tho carp SHOULD be thrown on the bank/removed from the water, with the politically-correct attitude of the general-public, it would be catastrophic for In-Fisherman if they did something like that.
I would have to completely disagree. By doing what they did they are promoting carp to be like a sport fish where they are fun to catch and should be saved to the public eye.....Actually it would be in great interest if they would have done a lil segemnt in there about how bad these fish really are giving some statistics and inform peoplewhy they need to be removed when ever possible. This would be great for them to educate sport fishers and others alike as to how we need to preserve our waters and game fish as much as possible. No they shouldn't throw them on the bank in that situatioin but IMO they should have put them on a stringer and disposed of them after the show. Sure it could be a disaster for In-fisherman but if it would have been handles the right way and the way it should have been things would have they would have been just fine......... No carp is a good carp and the public should be made know that..... Doing what they did is completely contradicting what a show like that is all about, preserving sport fishing and education of sport fish. If they wanted to be politicaly correct about it, if thats the word for it, they shouldnever have done a show on sport catching carp!!WCL

Doegirl75 02-04-2008 03:13 PM

I like flyfishing for carp, but I know darn well they should not be in our waters. I release 'em only because I have no acceptable way of disposing of them. Throwing them up on the bank is littering, IMO. And stinky[:'(]

bowman15 02-04-2008 04:13 PM

WCL, you're absolutely right. If they did it that way, it would have been much better.

And Doegirl, you're right; throwing them up on the bank IS littering. I was just trying to say that, yes, they should be removed.

20 slugs 02-04-2008 08:06 PM

I,ve snagged I don,t know how many when fishing for pickerel "walleye" do to their slow in the cold water.We would just lay em on the bank or if some asian guys were near by they would take em they would ask how much. Most of the time if they didn,t flop into the water we would drop off buddys tree farm he had a use for em.But I think it should be left up to the guy that catches em to do what he wants considering how much damage they cost did you see the big die off last year in the kawarthas Peterborough Ontario and what it did for tourism and the cost of disposal .

HNI_Christine 02-06-2008 04:56 PM

InFisherman has a long history of promoting carp as a noble game fish. Carp are fun to catch with hook or arrow but that doesn't mean they're a noble sport fish. [:'(]

We have a DVD that we play at our shows where Duane Chapman from the USGS (not the bounty hunter) tells viewers that even if the carp ends up in a dumpster that's better than them swimming around in our waters.

I adhere to that philosophy. A good carp is a dead carp. (Dead carp should always be disposed of in a legal and considerate manner!)

On the other hand, if folks want to catch carp, give them a big smooch and let them go, the more power to them. Inreturn I'd likethe carp hugging crowd to let us bowfish and kill carp as we see fit. Unfortunately, there is an effort by the pro-carp crowd to limit bowfishing or other forms of catchand keep of invasive carp.

You can read about that effort here: http://www.carpbusters.com/stopthesanctuary.shtml

fishpoint 02-11-2008 09:04 PM

I think there are enough carp around so that anybody can do anything with them as they please (except releasing themin another body of water - that's very bad). Unfortunately, they are here to stay.

Speaking of invasive species: did you hear aboutthe bluegills thatMayor Daley gave to Japan? Apparently they are breeding out of control in that country's waterways!