Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Is bowfishing.....bowhunting? >

Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

I bowfish...........it is a blast and keeps you in shape during the summer months.............rough fish are the only ones legal to shoot here and I use an old compound with a retreiver reel.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I’m curious as to how much trouble I’d get in if I shot carp at the county park. Its open to fishing, and bowfishing SHOULD be legal without implications.
I have a similar place I could walk to. The only problem I think we'd run into is.....having a bow on the parks property.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in NY, it is only leagal to bowfish carp. Which is still OK, I guess.

My real hats off to the guys that do it underwaterthough for shark, etc.

There is a docuentary out there on TCM narated by Ronald Reagon of Howard Hill bowfishing for swordfish. If you get the chance, watch it. It's also on the DVD, Howard Hill Hunting and Fishing with the bow and arrow.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM

i ahve been doing it for about 10 yrs and i shoot a compound. it really has helped me out with hunting. if nothing else its good practice and a blast to do
Old 01-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where the heck is HNI Christine??????? Oh she must be bowfishing!!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Isn't there a seperate forum for this topic???
Old 01-17-2008, 03:50 PM

Bowfishing is great in the off season for me when i can find time. I use an old fred bear compound without sights. Me and my friends have spent many days on the lake shooting carp and gar. Always wanted to shoot out of a boat but havent got to yet.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally spend alot of spring and summer time Bowhunting Rough Fish....And It is truely a BLAST!!!!!Well heck a Winter Time Pass Time as well now( HNI Christine , Kendall and I were out on a warm water lake in the middle of the nightthat is ajacient to the Nuclear Power Plant 2 weekends ago Bowfishing with hand warmers , winter jackets and busting through some ice ocaisionally with the trolling motor in the middle of the night.
Here is a link to our winter trip on the lake the other night bowhunting for rough fishhttp://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2555278... Ya We Are NutsAnd lovin every minute of itExcept for when Christine fell ( not a swan dive )in the water... damn that water had to be cold[&:]
HNI Christine and Kendall got me started.....And its all their fault[8D] It has become one of my other passion's to the point that I have bought a boat and am converting it to a bowfishing boat.

What can be better than when you dont gun turkey hunt in the spring and nothing is in season to bowhunt during the summer....or in the middle of the night....Then Bowfish!!!!!! You will be doing the waters and native fish a great favor

Bank Bowfishing is a great way to do some water line scouting for whitetails while you are bowfishing... I see some great bucks at the waters edge when I am out daytime bank bowfishing....and its awesome to spot and stalk on the banks or wadding those spooky carp.... they have some great eyesight!!!

Ya gotta try it............Getting to fish and shoot your bow at the same time can be a combination of 2 loved sports...
wait till you arrow a 20lb Common Carp, 70lb Grass Carp or 35lb Asian Big Head.... you gotta experience the fight they give ya... it's Wild.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

The adreline rush of a buck in bow range is not there with bowfishing so i dont think i would consider it bowhunting
Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

The adreline rush of a buck in bow range is not there with bowfishing so i dont think i would consider it bowhunting
Oh, really?!? Bet you could generate a bit of a rush if one of these monsters was in range.

These fellas took that thing out of Sam Rayburn Lake in east Texas.BAA world record alligatorgar - 8'2", 244 lbs, 44.75" in girth.

Quick Reply: Is bowfishing.....bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.