Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Getting started bowfishing!? >

Getting started bowfishing!?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Getting started bowfishing!?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Getting started bowfishing!?

Hay guys, I wanted to start bowfishing, I have a small pond with lots of goldfish,carp,and cats. I wanted to kill some of them tohelp control their population and too make room for game fish. I am 13 so I cant have a bow with too heavy pull. I currently have a genises bow with a 20lb pull will this be ok? If so what kind of reel should I get?any help would be good!
thanks!-linkppn
Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Getting started bowfishing!?

i dont know too much bout weights. but looks like no one else is helpin you. i dont think that 20 isgunna be enough to push that heavy fiberglass arrow through a carp.i'd say maybe#30 wud be a good weight
Old 11-15-2007, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 PM

I prefer a reel style with a jug that the line goes into, the spools that you wind the line onto work ok and they are less expensive, i agree you may need a little heavier draw
Old 11-15-2007, 08:22 PM

Thats cool, how about an ams reel?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

AMS reel is what you want and get a couple fiberglass arrows with safety slides and muzzy tips. You won't need much unless you plan on getting into it alot. You want atleast 30 lbs. I shoot 45 but we shoot some deep water sometimes and some really big fish. Have fun shoot em up. WCL
Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

WCL is right. I've seen some folks try to shoot fish with a 30# bow and have trouble with "pull-offs". That is when the arrow doesn't penetrate far enough for the barbs to hold. If you are going with the AMS reel, go ahead and get the AMS fish hawk bow. It is just like your Genesis with a bit heavier draw weight. At 13 you will be able to build up to a heavier bow quickly. Be careful not to be too "overbowed" though.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM

I could just crank up the pull to 35
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Hey, this is my first post. I just recently got into it. I use my golden eagle compound. It's at about 50 pounds right now. The only reason I use this bow is because it was my old bow from when I started, so it wasn't being used. Otherwise, try to find an old recurve to use. It doesn't feel like the arrow is coming off the compound right. Uhh, let's see, I have the standard ams reel combo. The tips and arrow that come with it are pretty mediocre, so I'd reccommend just buying the reel and arrow and tip seperately.

Don't get discouraged when you miss a lot of fish. It took me at least a dozen fish before I hit something. Just remember, aim under the fish about what you think is right, then aim 2 feet lower.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

for starting out i would recomend at least 35# for your bow. as far as a reel goes, thats a personal preference, i use an old bear drum style. but the guys are right when they say to use a safty slide on your arrows. the important thing is that you have a good time and enjoy your self.

Quick Reply: Getting started bowfishing!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.