Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

bridges

Old 09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default bridges

i just started shootin carp this spring and love it. i've gotten 2 off a bridge but was wandering if there were any pointers u guys had to git them. thanx

Old 09-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bridges

ORIGINAL: slayer_54

...i've gotten 2 off a bridge ...
Slayer, What were the carp doing on the bridge?

Just kidding.

If you're fishing during the day, the number one thing is polarized glasses.

Jason Wesbrock wrote a good article that answers most getting started questions. Check it out at; http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1881478

Beyond that where are you shooting, creek, river, lake? For creeks and small rivers, check out the riffles. Ponds and lakes look for coves and shallow flats. When the water is up look in the weeds and grass.
Camo is not needed, but clothing is important. If you wear bright colors, you will be busted. Think about your background, sky, tall weeds, trees? Try not to stand out from the background.

Always comply with the laws and dispose of your fish where they won't bother anyone else.
After that, have fun and be safe. Good Luck.

P.S. I hope this answers some of the questions. If you have more, fire away. Somebody here will have the answer. (or at least an answer. LOL)
Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being up high, like on a bridge, really makes it easier to see the fish.
That's why guys who bowfish from boats build elevated shooting platforms for them.Polarized glasses are a must for any daytime bowfishing regardless of where you shoot from. You can't hit what you can't see.

When you have a steep bank or a bridge that requires you to pull the fish up some height above the water, you may want to reel up your line hand over hand instead of using your reel. Less wear and tear on the reel sincethe fish get pretty heavy once you get them out of the water.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

i had some nice shades for bass and musky fishing but lost them falling out of a boat. lol.(Long Story)i was pissed they were $75. not the best pair of shades but they worked better than walmart brand.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the rare occassion that I have a brainfart and forget my polarized shades, I either go get them, or go home and forget about bowfishing.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't noticedmuch of adifference in the quality of the "polarization" between cheap glasses and expensive glasses. They might not fit as well or hold up to scratching, but at least you can see the fish. I always keep at least one pair of cheapies inmy gear bag. The last ones I got were from Gander Mountain at $30. Worked great.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Fork Horn

thanx for the tips!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Check out the video I posted below... I was shooting off and around a bridge that day...