Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Want to Start Bowfishin >

Want to Start Bowfishin

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Want to Start Bowfishin

Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Want to Start Bowfishin

Hey all,
Thinking bout settin up my old Mathews Q2 for bowfishing.

Want to get a decent starter kit... any suggestions??

Thanks,
Ed
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Want to Start Bowfishin

LOL just posted to this same question on another forum.

IMO the best set-up is the AMS retriever with safety slides on your arrows. I don't know what the prices are. If you go to the Illinois Bowfishers link in my signature, there are links there to places like F&D Archery and other good folks who can get you set-up with everything you need.

Good Luck.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im looking to start cheap.

Think the Bohning Kit will get the job done?? its only $25 bucks.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

you can pick up a muzzy real seat for around $25, a zebco808 (the all metal bearings) $30, and line $10, and and arrow $12 ====== $77. i know it seems a little pricey Ed, but it will last you quite a while if you are just starting out. i think the Bohning Kit is going to be a hassel, but thats just my thoughts. now you can get it and use it for a year and then if you really like bowfishing (which im sure you will) you can upgrade. i hope you get into bowfishing, its a ton of fun. Later Ed
Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM

I have some advice for you. STOP NOW. Put your stuff down and walk away. Doing this will just create another hobby that is addictive and as expensive as you can allow. Run now.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

another hobby that is addictive
That about says it.

You can take fish with the hand wound spool that comes in the kit, but you'll probably want to upgrade pretty quickly because of all the extra time it takes to get your line untangled and put back in shooting condition.
Then you will have bought 2 setups.

You gotta get what is right for you.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm looking at either the kit from Muzzy or AMS....

Hopefully I'll pick on up next payday!
Old 07-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks for starting this thread so I don't have to start another newbiw thread.

Bigjim, I just got back from ye oldearchery shoppe with the setup you described. Since I will be backpacking, I wanted the shoot through reel, but it madesense to me that I don't want to spend all that time hand reeling in my misses.

The arrow with the slides cost a little more, which isn't so bad, but it looks like one more thing to break. Is the slide arrow better? How do you use the non-slide arrow and keep line away from the bow?

Do you leave a little slack hanging when you shoot?

Thanks,

Another recruit.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:18 PM

Bigjim, two more questions, if you will

How well does the reel work with no tension? Do you need to put a little tension on the line when reeling in slack?

I bought the 10 inch rod with one eye that screws on the end of the stablizer/holder. I assume it helps keep the line in order, but do you need it?

TIA (Thanks in Advance)
Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jones, hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I have never seen a slide fail. I have seen the stop get knocked off by nocking the arrow upside-down. (the stop hits the rest)I have seen them shot into grass roots that held them so tight we could pull the boat over obstacles while trying to getthe arrowout.

As far as tension, the weight of the arrow is generally enough on a spincast. If not, you'll quickly learn to use the thumb and fore finger to hold the line while you reel with the other hand. If there is excess slack line, it can get tangled in the spool, some tension will prevent that.

If you are going to use safety slides with a spincast reel, I strongly recommenda rod extension. It will keep you from drawing the bow w/o pushing the button. If you don't push the button, bad things happen. All of which end with much loud cursing. Been there...

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Want to Start Bowfishin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.