HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   Bowhunting Gator (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/194291-bowhunting-gator.html)

FLSawmpHunter 06-13-2007 07:59 PM

Bowhunting Gator

Does anyone know what pound test line I should use with my bowfishing rig for gators?

HunterOpel 06-13-2007 09:40 PM

RE: Bowhunting Gator

What kind of reel are you using???
If you are using a retriever, I use 400# fast flight..Works great..
If you are using a closed face, one like the new muzzy, I use 200# fast flight in it, works good..

Jim_IV 06-14-2007 09:27 AM

i use a closed face and always usee #200 no matter what im going after. and hunterO that is a good lookin gator

Airsoft Dude 06-19-2007 01:20 PM

go to www.backwaterbowfishing.com email him and ask him about this hes an expert!

Capt. Billy 06-19-2007 06:58 PM

I'm an alligator outfitter in Florida. www.deepsouthoutfitter.com My clients use my crossbow and I never use anything but muzzy's #600 cord. I have used the #300 before and lost gators in the hydrilla and had it break one time when it wrapped around the gator. Big gators do all kinds of crazy stuff so use the best you can get everytime. I book 30 hunters during the season and everyone loves it, it' s awesome.

Good luck,
Billy

Syd1981 06-20-2007 03:42 PM

Just curious what do you do with a gator after you shoot it??

deer_predator 06-21-2007 04:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Syd1981

Just curious what do you do with a gator after you shoot it??
YOU EAT IT!

onebadf250 06-21-2007 07:54 PM

Nice Gator. We harvested 8 last year between two of us.4-7'+, 2-5ft, 1-9ft, 1-4ft.Got lucky and both of us got our 2 quota tags and then got two more tags each that were left over. We ended up gigging all our with poles that had removable muzzy tips attached to a piece of climbing rope. Worked great.

I stood in line again this year and got lucky again and got 2 more tags for my county. I don't want to gig them this year. I want to shoot them with my bow. I'm planning on rigging up my old hoyt and putting one of the old school open face reals with 35yds of 500lb fast flight/dacron attached a aluminum wrapped fiberglass arrow with muzzy tip on one end anda bouy/float on the other. Bouy will be laying below me in the boat. Just from what we experienced last year most of my shots will be 20yds and in...hopefully less.

What do you guys think of this set up? Will it work? I'm looking at your set ups with the fancy reals and all and that is pricey for 7 days.

Can you shoot a 70# bow with one of those old school reals? I definitly don't want to have to dig a muzzy fishing head out of my arm. Does anyone have any experience with one of these using the 500# fast flight.

What are your guys thought? If you have specific brands of stuff let me know what they are.
Thanks!

bigboar23 06-27-2007 10:04 PM

I run trips in Florida too and we us nothing less than 600# like Capt. Billy said. For smaller gators you can get away with less, but you never know what you're gonna run into. We needed every bit of the 600 pounds on this one.

#1 cajun 07-10-2007 01:07 AM

Thats a nice lizard for sure. Yea capt. Billy is about 30 miles north of me and he knows his business when it comes to gators. I've seen some of his work first hand. If anybody has any pics of how to rig a crossbow gator getter point to the bolt I need a pic , I have a couple of fellows wanting some crossbow stuff and I don't normally handle it but am thinking about stocking some, but I would like to understand alittle more about it before I spend the $$$$. Thanx for any help you may offer. If you have a pic or two my email is [email protected] Thanx again, #1cajun