Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Dumb wisconsin laws >

Dumb wisconsin laws

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Dumb wisconsin laws

Old 04-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dumb wisconsin laws

Just wanted to vent went to a river Ive never been to to go carp shooting today and it turns out it is closed from march 6 to april 20th for spearing and shooting ruff fish. grr they want them all destroyed yet the dnr do dumb things like that so I had to fish for them instead got about 30 still but would of been more fun to shoot them and I could of got alot more. Lost about as many or more as I caught.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dumb wisconsin laws

Yeah I hear ya. It sucks we have to wait... Anyways the reason for the closure is to allow for a good buffalo spawn because they are a native fish and have comercial fishing value to WI... Don't see why they can't just close itto buffaloonlybut I supose its because of stupid people who don't knowwhat they are shooting at.WCL
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

I never knew that was the reason for it. Is it for all rivers then? Because I have speared suckers in the menomonee river and have been checked by the warden in past years and their wasnt ever a problem. Well at least now I know the reason why. I hear you that it should just be closed for buffalo but what can you do thanks for the reason why you cantI couldnt figure it out.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope the closure doesn't coincide with the carp spawn too.

How did you find out it was closed? Were you stopped by an officer whileyou were doing it? Was he cool about it and let you leave without a hassle?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Their was a sign by the parking spot that said it on their. I wanted to just do it anyways but didnt want to take the risk.
here are some pictures of what we caught they were in their pretty think already.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

pictures

Old 04-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice catch and very nicely taken pic.
Those Wisconsin carp are a bit hairier than the ones I see south of the border.

Only 12 more days until you can go tear them up properly.

You guys coming down to theWonder Lake shoot June 2nd?
It's not that far of a drive from Beer-town.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

No it doesn't interfere at all with the carp spawn. They don't get goin here real good till about the 2nd and 3rd week of May...
Talk about shootin them out of season. Yeah we went out and shot a ton of fish one day two years ago not knowing about the law either two weeks early. Would actually be this weekend if ya think about it. Anyways we shot about 125 illegal fish I guess you could say, about a 50/50 mix of buff and carp with a few dogs in the mix,but as you said we had the same thing happen with the warden. He checked us and didn't even care. All he asked for was to see our fishing license. Either he didn't know the law either or didn't care... Definitly can't wait for the opener though. Gotta finish puttin lights on my boat tomorrow. WCL
Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoseromon

I never knew that was the reason for it. Is it for all rivers then? Because I have speared suckers in the menomonee river and have been checked by the warden in past years and their wasnt ever a problem. Well at least now I know the reason why. I hear you that it should just be closed for buffalo but what can you do thanks for the reason why you cantI couldnt figure it out.
You have to look at the spearing regs, which are the bow fish regs too, and see where you can and can't shoot. Most place in the southern half of WI are open to shooting all year. Most big rivers and the northern portion of WI are closed for that time period. WCL
Old 04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Bulzeye.
Where is this wonder lake shoot I have never heard of it? I am interested though if you could let me know some more information. If you could let me know how I could get the details of the shoot that would be great.

Quick Reply: Dumb wisconsin laws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.