HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   Trolling motor size (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/184675-trolling-motor-size.html)

Mark S 03-15-2007 09:54 AM

Trolling motor size

I'm stuck with fixing one of my older trolling motors or buying yet another one. I was wondering what pound thrust everyone is using and if they're happy with it. I've always had 24 volt trollers but have been looking at a 55lb 12 volt.

Desperado 03-15-2007 10:28 AM

RE: Trolling motor size

I have a Minn Kota Maxxum 55lb. thrust 12 v. I love it .

carpsniper 03-15-2007 10:56 AM

Mark, I run a 55lb 12V Minn Kota. I've had the Maxxum, but went to the endura because the endura is more "fixable".

BTW, I have a motorguide troller for sale if you want a foot control, 12 or 24V bow mount.

Bulzeye 03-15-2007 01:45 PM

My little boat has a 36lb transom mount.
Works great, and I can ski behind it.
Heck, I'm practically skiing ON it. :D

It can throw you if you slam it into top gear with it pointed sideways, but that is to be expected when the motor weighs half a much as the boat.

robow7 03-15-2007 03:37 PM

I own two 12 volt Maxim 55 ft-lb. trollers. Each will pull my 1860 boat very easily on most bodies of water, but when trying to move upstream on a faster river, well then the more the ft-lbs, the better. I have been a big fan of Minn Kota for years because of the abuse I put my older trollers thru and they would come back for more, but these last couple of Minnies that I have owned are forever blowing a circuit board or rheostat or something. Unfortunately the newer ones don't seem to be withstanding my abuse as well as the older ones. I might have to try the more simple Endura model.

Desperado 03-15-2007 05:02 PM

I looking at the Rip tide trollers, anyone tried them??

mncarphntr 03-16-2007 07:12 AM

I went from a 55lb. 12 V to a 64lb. 24V MK Power Drive and really like the extra boost and longer drive time. (1648 boat)

hoseromon 03-16-2007 01:00 PM

Carpsniper
I am looking to get my boat 14' deep V alluminum boat set up with a foot pedal trolling motor. Was wondering what you are asking for yours? Also I was wondering can you take a regular trolling motor and set it up as a foot control? If you could just email me that be great dont know when I will be on next thanks
JOE

Mark S 03-16-2007 04:44 PM

Kendall, I've already got a 12/24 motorguide that acts up now and then. My newer fancy 80lb motorguide is stuck on high bypass(I wish I could work on solid state electronics). I really like the idea of going simple. In fact, I was looking at an endura 55. What do you find you have to fix on them? I'd get the shorter shaft to keep the cost down and just buy the 96" replacement. I really like the idea of paying for just a 12 volt converter. I think you guys have helped me make up my mind! Here's a crazy idea. Anybody here think about trying to rig up a troller to run on 110 volt. I figure the motor from a weed eater would be about right.

carpsniper 03-17-2007 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Mark S

I really like the idea of going simple. In fact, I was looking at an endura 55. What do you find you have to fix on them?

Here's a crazy idea. Anybody here think about trying to rig up a troller to run on 110 volt. I figure the motor from a weed eater would be about right.
The enduras have a simple switch set-up that costs <$20 (used to anyway) 6 screws, 5 spade cliped wires, replace and you're back in business; usually. If not, it's the brushes in the motor head. A little more involved, but still pretty simple and cheap.
The Maxxums....all solid state. Three circuit boards = $$$$ [:@]

As far as 110V goes, I think a lot of people have had that idea. If you could make one, Bowfishers would buy every one. They already have generators, no converters to worry about, no batteries, less weight and you should be able to get a bunch of power/thrust out of one. Let me know when you're ready to try out your prototype on the CIRFCU. :D