Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

New Jersey??

Old 12-21-2006, 12:47 PM

Default New Jersey??

Can you bowfish in New Jersey? I can't find any regulations on this.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:47 PM

Default RE: New Jersey??

Carp and stingrays. Since I was 14. Almost 26 years ago. What part of New Jersey are you from. My bowfishing was around the Delaware Memorial Bridge as well as the Delaware Bay for cownose stingrays. I live in PA now, but the bowfishing over there is awesome. PM me and we'll get together next summer.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 AM

I don't currently have a bowfishing set up but it looks like fun...something to do in the off season.I live near the Delaware memorial bridge as well.

Currently I do fresh water fishing in the poconos andin the local WMA,and like to do deep sea once a year or so, crabbing in the back bays,and love surf casting. Surf casting is like fresh water fishing on steriods. Although deep sea is fun...it feels too much like a canned hunt(charterboat)as it is almost a gaurantee that you will get something. And if you get a big fish, it is just dumb luck as you and the 25 guys standing next to you have the exact same set up and bait as you. Skill is pratically irrelevent.

How much would it cost to get a low end bow fishing set up? I already have the bow of course.....
Old 12-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

CM, check this out. It is a very well written primer on bowfishing.

http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/articles.aspx?articles_id=504

If you still have questions, we will do our best to answer them.

Merry Christmas, Kendall
Old 12-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

cmccauley1,

A most basic hand wrap reel and an arrow will cost around 20 bucks.
I highly recommendbuying a spare arrow. Good arrows with points cost about 10-15 dollars each.

A more expensive set up would be a retriever bowfishing reel made just for bowfishing. They're about 60 dollars but they last many, many years and they're much faster than a hand wrap reel.

Many here also use a spincast reel with special heavy line.

Crabbing, surf casting, deep sea fishing..... I'm jealous!

Old 12-22-2006, 02:55 PM

If you want to go from the bank the very best place is in a ditch next to the LAC Police Dept. If you have a boat the Deepwater Canal was where I did most of my NJ bowfishing. I've shot over 200 carp in one day in there. Not very big carp, but great shooting. I have a bow for you to use if you would like to go out and give it a try late next March.