HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   Yes it's true... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/156992-yes-its-true.html)

RobinAim Low 09-19-2006 01:35 PM

Yes it's true...

Aim Low has switched to Retriever Reels and we liked them so much we asked them to be a sponsor. Had a good night on the River last week with them. Read about it here:http://www.aimlowproductions.com/journals_bowfishing.shtml

Fishhunter 09-19-2006 05:57 PM

RE: Yes it's true...

Oh crap. I was hoping to hunt this weekend and now the world is ending.[>:]

Syoung 09-19-2006 11:58 PM

What took you so long? Great reels, and great company!

bowman15 09-20-2006 04:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Fishhunter

Oh crap. I was hoping to hunt this weekend and now the world is ending.[>:]

LOL!!!

mncarphntr 09-20-2006 06:22 AM

Thats going to cut down on your blooper footage!

robow7 09-20-2006 09:22 AM

Does anyone use 130 - 200 lb. test fast flite with their bottles??

Johnny b 09-20-2006 10:50 AM

Rob,
I just read on here somewhere that they were using 200 fast flite and really like it. I think it was bowfisher15. but not sure.

RobinAim Low 09-21-2006 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: mncarphntr

Thats going to cut down on your blooper footage!
True that!

We do have the stingray footage where the one ray of Keith's took off full speed towards the back of the boat and yanked the....well, you'll see.

Syoung 09-22-2006 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Johnny b

Rob,
I just read on here somewhere that they were using 200 fast flite and really like it. I think it was bowfisher15. but not sure.
Don't use it! It will cut a groove in the roller. Use 200lb dacron, 400lb Fast Flite or 500lb Power Pro.

robow7 09-22-2006 08:32 PM

How fast might one go thru a roller, because there is no way I'm going to ever use 400 or 500 lb test line? I'm guessing that the dacron wouldn't resist being cut by a gar's scales as well as fast flite? Just curious.

Syoung 09-23-2006 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: robow7

How fast might one go thru a roller, because there is no way I'm going to ever use 400 or 500 lb test line? I'm guessing that the dacron wouldn't resist being cut by a gar's scales as well as fast flite? Just curious.
Ifyou try and stop or fight a big carp in it wont take too many times to wear a groove in it enough that the roller won't catch. The Muzzy Extreme is the best 200lb dacron you can get, but will cut easy on gar scales. Another problem with the 200lb fast Flite is that it will bunch up at the stripper where it comes out of the bottle. Even the 350lb BCY is alot worse than the 200lb dacron, or 400lb Fast Flite. I just started using the 500lb Power Pro and like it alot. It is the same diameter as the 400lb and really feed nice out of the bottle. I only use 12.5yds on my stingray floats and you will get knots with the 400lb since you don't have alot of line in the bottle, but out of the 50-60 shots I have taken with the Power Pro I have not had one knot yet.

robow7 09-23-2006 07:40 AM

Thanks SY for the info. I wonder why so many newRetrievers thencome with only 130 lb line stock, not sure whether it is dacron or fast flight if it won't get picked up as well by the roller or has a better chance to groove the roller?Also have you ever used Mudcat's line holder?

Syoung 09-23-2006 09:11 AM

http://www.bowfishusa.com/community/index.php?topic=15587.0

If you go there I have a picture of my Mudkat Line Guide. If you don't have a Slotted Retriever it has no purpose. I only own that reel and a bunch of parts I take with me. It keeps the line from falling out the side of the reel when a fish takes off or after you shoot. Just makes life easier.

AMS does not offer their reels with 200lb dacron for some reason, but since they get so many complaints and 400 is so popular they orref it with that for more money. Well worth it though. That reel in the picture has the 500lb Power Pro and that reel is going on 17 years old and good as new.

HNI_Christine 09-23-2006 11:12 AM

Just out of curiousity, how are you guys defining 'cuts easily on gar scales'?

Are you talking about gator gar?

I've been using the 200lb Muzzy dacron and haven't had any problems with the line getting cut by gar scales. In fact I've only retied the loop due tosome frayingonce all last year.

Are you guys managing to shoot all the way through the gar, even with the safety slide?

Syoung 09-23-2006 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

Just out of curiousity, how are you guys defining 'cuts easily on gar scales'?

Are you talking about gator gar?

Are you guys managing to shoot all the way through the gar, even with the safety slide?

I mean longnose, but our gar are pretty small, so without putting a piece of fuel line on the shaft behind the head you will shoot through most of them.

HNI_Christine 09-23-2006 12:53 PM

Okay, thanks!

I rarely shoot through the gar but I turn my bow down to about 30lbs when shooting smaller fish. Maybe that's the difference. :)

robow7 09-23-2006 03:36 PM

Maybe if you actually hit a few gar once and a while, then you could tell if they would fray your line :D Actually, I notice Bryan has his come "spooled" with the 200 lb Muzzy extreme line.

https://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=99

I tried a Retriever years ago and didn't care for it but I'm thinking about giving it another whirl.

KBI-PREZ 09-23-2006 06:39 PM

Well it has been our experience that we blow right through most all of the gar we shoot so the fraying process is a real problem most of the time.....

DUMB BASS 09-25-2006 07:44 AM

I get a lot of pass throughs on gar as well, I shoot a 50 lb recurve. Check that line after your shots.

RobinAim Low 09-25-2006 07:47 AM

Even the smallest gar will cut dacron, or at least fray it, on shoot throughs. You will never catch me shooting anything but Fast flight. Besides, dacron is elastic and loads up like a rubber band, so is susceptible to snapping back. Fast flight cannot handle a sudden shock load, so will break. It isn't just the famous snap back either. I know a guy that was hung in a root, and pulled big time on it (with dacron). When that baby let loose, it rubber banded all the way back to his nose and took it half off.

IMO, Dacron is an accident waiting to happen, and I cannot find any single good reason to use it over fast flight (or similar).

Bulzeye 09-25-2006 11:47 AM

I love fastflight in the spincasts, but didn't know it could be used in the retrievers too. I do know about the dacron line's ability to store energy and then slingshot back. I've both gotten smacked with a snapback arrow in the forhead, and had a stumped arrow zing back to hit the boat when I gave it a yank.

Congrats on the new equip guys. May you shoot many fish and much footage.

If you do run short on the bloopers, you can always drop the whole bow over the side, or has that been done? ;)

Ray Hunter 42 09-28-2006 08:26 AM

Glad to hear ya guys switched. Hopefully now Keith will now how to load up his float the next time he uses one. LOL.

carptracker 10-24-2006 06:22 PM

Ok, I'm going to show how ignorant I am. Is there a difference between a slotted retriever and a regular one? Does that have to do with using floats? I'm looking at trying to find a couple starter bows for me and my son now. Gonna look on ebay tonight, I think.

HNI_Christine 10-24-2006 06:53 PM

You're correct, the slotted retriever is for the floats.

If you're not planning on using a float for most fish, I'd get a standard retriever. Standards are easier to use. (the slotted has line and bands that you have to watch)

:)

KBI-PREZ 11-05-2006 08:17 AM

Your the one oh great madam Prez hope you find some deer soon sounds like your having troubles this year.

Red Hawk 11-22-2006 04:48 PM

nice catch :)