Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 carp? keep or trash >

carp? keep or trash

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

carp? keep or trash

Old 06-25-2006, 02:11 PM

Default carp? keep or trash

i want to start bowfishing but i had a quick question, what do you do with all the carp you shoot, i wouldnt eat them. do you just throwthem away?
Old 06-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carp? keep or trash

Hey stiffler;

Most people toss them, but alot of them can be put to use in one way or another. Fish-emulshion(sp?) is great fertilizer for trees, shrubs/bushes, gardens and crops. Some people use them for baiting different pests and furbearers (skunks, raccoons, possums and I've even heard coyotes). They taste good smoked if you want to try them yourself, but if not, don't toss them where someone may happen along them (i.e. shore, boat-launch or side of the road).

When I can't use them or find someone else who will, I have a place on private-property that I dump them, and I've left as many as 10-12 and went back the next day to only find scales. They won't go to waste.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Bowman said, They won't go to waste and most of us don't want to eat near the amount we take. Please just remember to dispose of them in a manner that is considerate of others. We bury many in our garden, but there is only so much room there. We contacted a farmer who allowed us to dump the remains far back in one of his fields.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

depends on the type of carp. commons are harder to give away. asians are very good eating.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:27 AM

Here is the bottom line with all carp species...

Do not feel bad for killing what you don't eat. All fisheries biologists will give you a pat on the back for all you can remove. They are a detriment to our native species. Yes, you do not want to dump them right where they will be in front of people, but no because you need to hide what you do - because no one wants to happen upon a stinking pile of fish.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

What Robin said. I just happen to eat all that I shoot. Found a way to cook them so they taste most excellent, but do not feel bad if you don't eat them, and DO NOT return a carp alive to the water. If you pop the swim bladder, they will sink.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 PM

Why can't put what you shoot back in the water??? Thats what I always did. I don't want them but I like shooting them.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chiefks

Why can't put what you shoot back in the water??? Thats what I always did. I don't want them but I like shooting them.

Because the idea of bowfishing is to REMOVE the fish from the water.Bowfishing is NOT catch and release.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

The idea is to not put them back alive. You can return them to the water, just pop the swim bladder first. Carp are vermin, as in invasive exotics. Best thing would be to wipe them out cmpletely.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

I couldn't agree more with Robin on this. Yea, if you can find a use for them, by all means then then go for it but if nothing else, just dispose of them so they won't stink up an inhabited or frequented area. I just gained access to a pair of nestingBald Eagles with three little ones (very rare)and intend to be thecarp delivery boy for a while.

Quick Reply: carp? keep or trash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.