Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 big carp problems >

big carp problems

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

big carp problems

Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: big carp problems

I like my tips to be as sharp as possible. Still, I have problems on 20lb + common carp when they are deep (3+ feet). If they are headed towards me or quartering towards me (even slightly) I just tend to knock off scales. Not always, but enough to be frustrating. (I'm shooting a 40lb compound)

If the fish is quartering away at all, I can usually get him. I think it has to do with the way the scales lay over each other.

That's also why I think the 'dull' point thing was working for some. The point doesn't go thru the middle of a scale but slides a bit until it gets between 'em.Atleast that's the 'theory'.Two guys Iknowwho were recommending this also shoot 70lb bows. So as they say, your mileage may vary...

I'll stick with sharp points. (I'm liking the Cajun hardened tips for my muzzys)
Old 06-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks 4 the tip ive lost a few giants due to lack of penetration...some 30 pounders
Old 06-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Make sure your arrow is leaving your bow in a fairly straight path or that your bow/arrow is fairly well tuned. If your arrow is fishtailing or porpusing (sp?)a great deal and hitting the water at an awkward angle, you won't get near the penetration as you would have if the arrow was moving in a more straight line path. Might try one of the newer all carbon fish arrows or the Yellow Jacket if your present shaft is not stiff enough. Yea, and I'm with the tip should be sharper camp.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:22 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I'm about 70% certain that penetration is why I lost those big fish.The remaining 30% could be shot placement. I've never got to see where I hit those big fish at, water blows up and they aretaking line!!I thinkmy arrow is shooting pretty straight, althought I don't think it is paper tuned. Heck most of my arrow's are missing or have the fletching tore up on them. Pass through shots on medium to smallgar have seen to that.

At roughly 55 lbs give or take, I wouldn't think draw weight would be a problem. I could switch over to my Martin deer hunting bow. It's a heck of a lot faster and might give better penetration.

That leaves 2 things I wonder about. What kind of tip do you recomend useing??? I never was very fond of the tips that came on my arrows, but they worked just fine on gar and small carp. I think that I could be shooting a tip that would help hold a big carp better.

The other thing is useing a jug. Has anyone ever tied the end of the line to milk jug or something and just let the fish run. Wear them out that way. I think they do that with big gator gar?

Are big carp less spooky at night?
Old 06-21-2006, 07:18 AM

I use Muzzy points. Yes, less spooky at night. I would not jug a carp. No need for fletchings on a fish arrow...take them off. You can "paper tune" by using the water for your paper and the splash as your tear or guide for adjustments needed. Tuning is very important.