Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Carlyle

Old 06-08-2006, 03:56 AM

Default RE: Carlyle

Hey everyone!

Mike and I are not going to be able to make it down to the dam today. His boat is in the shop, and it's killing both of us.

A few suggestions:

If you are facing the dam, troll up the right side - you will be able to shoot some gar - you better be ready for a quick shot, because they are up and then down very fast. If you float downstream either in the middle or on the right side facing the swinging bridge the *big heads* will usually be there.

Take lots of pics, and let us know how it went! (Mike's cell 618-920-1990)

Good luck!

Jeni
Old 06-08-2006, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: KBI-PREZ

Thats what Johnny said go to the dam and floati am ready for tomorrow....And good to see you again Robin cant wait to see the new video......
The DVD is out now and getting good reviews. When you see it, let me know what you think. Other than the interview we did from prison, it seems to be pretty good I think.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent video!

How long did it actually take to skin out the big gar and what did you find to put the skin in? (It's not like you can just roll the hide up into a little ball)
Old 06-08-2006, 12:48 PM

C'mon, you saw the video...it was like 1.5 minutes.

I think it took us around 1.5 hours to skin it out. We bought the biggest cooler walmart had and it just fit in there.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 AM

i just called the shop and they said my boat will/SHOULD be done this afternoon so if your interested i could meet you up there saturday or sunday jeni has to work but im off so or if through the week next week would be better
i work midnights so im off every day that way jeni could go i dont like going with out her it like seeing someone shoot their first deer everytime she shoots a fish that 1st one she shot (if my scale is correct wieghed in at 17.5 pounds
Old 06-09-2006, 08:09 AM

Robin, Went down to Carlyle dam yesterday with KBI-Prez and my grandson Mr. Extreme and we had a great day. Shot some really nice fish. Bill shot two 30 # and I got a 35#5oz brute. most all were over 20#. My grandson shot his first big heads. a 21# and 26#. He had a good time. We shot 23 big heads in total, and could have shot a lot more. We started trophy hunting, and i was spotting for Mr. Extreme. You just run up to the floats below the dam and float down just past the float below that. Then in the afternoon they were coming back down stream. We just parked along the right side going up and you could see them coming down in packs. was great. the best time was from noon to 3pm. johnny b.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Robin i seent he new video last night awesome man the bighead footage was great and if you dont love the giant your not really hooked. But great stuff i was impressed at how clear the water was on hte ohio river and how long the bigheads actually stayed up in the light when you hit them with it........
Old 06-12-2006, 06:46 AM

We took a lot of footage of bigheads at night, and what made the cut was only a fraction of it, picked mostly based on the fish staying up with the light on. Many of them did not hang around long enough for good footage. thanks for the good review!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Robin, are you sure those weren't pen raised Bigheads? Because after chasing them now for over 6 years, I have never seen them react somildly to a spot light as in your video. Normally for us, after a mere second, most of the time it's diver down! Excellent video but you may have to go the gulf for some rays or other exotics in volume threesince you've done such a nice job of covering everything else to this point.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: robow7

Excellent video but you may have to go the gulf for some rays or other exotics in volume threesince you've done such a nice job of covering everything else to this point.
Thanks for that, but let's be honest...what you really mean is that a volume III would be boring if we don't change it up. Seriously, though, yes we are planning on doing exactly that. In fact, we have some things going on that may just invoke a "major" announcement soon.