Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Removing nocks

Old 03-23-2006, 05:51 PM

Default Removing nocks

Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time writer. Are there any tricks to removing arrow nocks from fiberglass fish arrows? I just bought a couple of the Muzzy arrows with carp point and didn't realize that a safety slide will not slip over the nock. I think the arrows are pre-drilled for cables. I guess I could tear it off with pliers, but figured someone would have a better way. Appreciate any input.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Removing nocks

You can heat 'em up and sometimes they'll slip off. I usually do the pliers-twist to remove them Then clean up with a bit of sandpaper.

I'm sure there's a better way.. but tearing things apart with pliers can be fun.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Flame it for a moment with a torch or if the wife's not looking you can hold it just over the stove range coils until it is almost in flames and then pull off easily with pliers. Clean up any residue left overwith acetone and you're set to throw a new one on.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

I twist off with pliers - works just fine. Then I scrape the residue off with a pocketknife. You will need a new nock, but you can get them cheap at wallyworld or anywhere else. I always carry extras because they'll break after being shot a ferw thousnd times.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:21 PM

Thanks everyone. Even though we have a month and a half before the season starts here in Michigan, I'm getting pretty excited. This will be my first year with some decent gear and hopefully I'll get out more than years past. I just got the Retriever and I have a feeling it's going to beat the old hand spool.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:23 AM

Well, I just got my arrows all set up with the slides and the retriever installed. Is it May yet? Man, they must not put much glue on the nocks from the factory. They popped right off with pliers and I was actually able to glue the same ones back on.