HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   do u all bowfish from a baot or ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/136614-do-u-all-bowfish-baot.html)

scmtnhnter 03-15-2006 10:28 PM

do u all bowfish from a baot or ?

i was just wondering how many of ya'll bowfish from a boat or do you wade or shoot from the banks ? i do all but i love to shoot from a boat so i can move around to different areas .i only wade when i cant get a boat into a area and i know it holds alot of fish .so what do u do ?

HNI_Christine 03-15-2006 10:37 PM

RE: do u all bowfish from a baot or ?

Both.

You can cover a lot of water with a boat, and it's easier to cart around bunches of fish.

Stalking them from shore is a lot of fun though too. (Christine's shore bowfishing tip for the day... bring somebody to carry your stringer.... ;))

scmtnhnter 03-15-2006 10:40 PM

christine , thats why i take my young sons with me not to watch but to do my my dirty work for me .i have trained them well .boy i know one thing u must be real good at bowfishin i didnt see ya sneak in again lol .

SouthTxBowfisher 03-16-2006 05:03 AM

I still walk the banks once in a while,when the rivers here get low,but most of the times i shoot out of my boats,

Bulzeye 03-16-2006 11:23 AM

Boats are great for finding fish when things are slow.
You can do quite well from shore if you find a good hole or two, but you're always limited by how far out the fish are hanging. Then thereare always the bugs, thorns, and poison ivy to deal with.

Definitly more comfy and flexible from a boat, but simpler and cheaper from shore.

Fishhunter 03-16-2006 05:29 PM

I do a lot on the Missouri River, so definitely a boat. And it doesn't have to be fancy. I had an old v-bottom when I started bowfishing, and I had put a deck across the front two seats. I shoot from that - not real elevated, but I have no complaints about the fishing. There are a couple gravel bars that I sometimes can't get behind on the Osage river, so I'll walk them for buffalo, but it's dang hard to get near them.

grizzly190 03-18-2006 10:20 AM

I fish from shore and I would highly approve of a "Stringer Carrying Buddy" But one thing I think I'd like to try is bowfishing from one of those fly-fishing pontoon boats. I just need to find one that rides higher than the rest.

Rick S. 03-19-2006 07:39 PM

I do most of my fishing on foot, walking the shore or wading. You can generally shoot more fish from a boat, esp at night, but I get a bigger kick from stalking them for the shot. A little chum helps todistract their attention. [:-]

SouthTxBowfisher 03-20-2006 04:52 AM

We shoot off the bridges during a flood,shoot lots of gar,

buffhntr 03-22-2006 02:13 PM

I use a boat it is alot easier and alot more productive in lakes