HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   What do I need to start? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/136540-what-do-i-need-start.html)

OHdeerguts 03-15-2006 12:13 PM

What do I need to start?

Hi there I'm new to this site and love it:D. i have been thinking about bow fishin and have a few questions. # can I use a longbow? or is a recurve better? what kind or reel, or a tape on spool. i have seen them in the 3 rivers cat. what else do you need to start with? I would appreciateany help. Thank you for reading and helping out a new future bowfisherman:D

OHdeerguts 03-15-2006 12:15 PM

RE: What do I need to start?

Sorry I did not even see the want to get started thread.:)Told ya all I'm new:D

HNI_Christine 03-15-2006 02:24 PM

Welcome!!

A longbow works fine, it's just, well, long.;)

Recurves are awesome for bowfishing, particularly ones that aren't real long or very heavy (actual weight, not pull).

Tape on spools are good to start with.They're the cheapestand fastest way to start. However, if you do much bowfishing, you may find it too slow and troublesome after awhile.

If you get the right gadget adapters you can use a spincast reel or a retreiver reel. (some people also make their own out of bicycle innertubes and wood)

:)

Fishhunter 03-15-2006 04:40 PM

I use old cheap recurves I get specifically for bowfishing. I drill two holes in the riser and mound the retriever with #10 bolts.

grizzly190 03-15-2006 07:46 PM

I actually used a old soup can with fly fishing line attached to it for a while, but these guys convinced me to get a AMS retriever and thats one thing I dont think I'll ever regret.

OHdeerguts 03-16-2006 06:40 AM

Thanks to all! How about the PSE kingfisher comb to start? would that be a good idea it looks like you get everything you need to start for 139. I live about 40 minutes from the Wheeling WV Cabela's and i'm just dying of a new excuse to tell my wife why I have to go back there:D

HNI_Christine 03-16-2006 08:54 AM

Check out the AMS Fish hawk comboalso. We have a link to their site at www.Illinoisbowfishers.com
If you want to stick with a long bow you can use the Great Northern gadget adapter. I'm pretty sure 3-rivers sells them.
Good luck!

OHdeerguts 03-16-2006 10:42 AM

Thank you for the website Christine!I checked it out and did not relize how popular bowfishing is I can not think of 1 person I know in my area that bowfishes. Now I'm of to 3 rivers to check out the Great Northern gadget adapter. I have another question about the vanes on fishing arrows are the soft and pliable or hard like A vane on an aluminum or carbon. Cut i tried to shoot off my shelf and the vanes did not work to well.

Bulzeye 03-16-2006 11:36 AM

Fishhunter:

I drill two holes in the riser and mound the retriever with #10 bolts.
Where do you get the threaded inserts for the holes?
I've never seen them for sale.

OHDeerguts:
I hate vanes on BF arrows. I think they are pretty useless, and I don't buy the arrows with them unless I need one right now, and then I just cut them off. The vanes might clear a BF Whisker Biscuit OK, but it will hit almost any other type of fest.

OHdeerguts 03-17-2006 05:05 AM

Thank you bulzeye. i never even thought of cutting the vanes off. Does it affect the flight or are the arrows so stiff it does not matter?