HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   AMS.. reel waste of money? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/133146-ams-reel-waste-money.html)

grizzly190 02-15-2006 05:03 PM

AMS.. reel waste of money?

I havent had the chance to use one but can anyone explain how the AMS bowfishing reel (standard one) works? It says it has no drag and I was wondering does all it do is reel in line? I'm thinking about getting either that or another Zebco 808 which I can adjust for drag and such. So if you have any details about this please let me know. I thought all the actual reel was for is holding the line so why is this one so "special"?

HNI_Christine 02-15-2006 05:30 PM

RE: AMS.. reel waste of money?

There's zero drag on the shot. You create drag on the retrieve by pulling on a trigger as you crank in the line. (easier to do than explain)

As for the AMS vs spincast reels question.

I can tell you that I love my AMS retriever reel. It's the same AMS I've been using for 10 years. That in itself says a lot.

The pros of a retriever.
*You'll pay more for a retriever in initial cost, but it will outlast a zebco or synergy many times over.
*It also holds heavier line, which means you will probably lose fewer arrows and won't need to re-tie arrows after a few gar.
*Zero drag. If you forget to push the button on a spincast, your line will stop but your arrow will probably keep going. (and even a cheap bowfishing arrow is expensive.Lose a couple of arrows with your spincast, and that AMS will look even more economical)
*When used with safety slides, they are probably the safest set-up out there.
*You can still put someting in your stablizer hole (like a Hawglite) since the retriever mounts to the side of the bow.
*I use a retriever and you shouldbe cool like me. (hahahha!!)

The cons of a retriever.
*More intial cost
*Spincasts are a bit faster in reeling in an arrow.
*On bigger fish, you'll pull the line in hand over hand instead of reeling it in. (I'm not sure that's really a 'con')
*You have to be sure to point the retriever in the direction of the line on the retrieve. This has always been easy for me, but it seems some people can't get the hang of it.

In the end, it becomes sort of a Ford vs. Chevy kind of thing. Many of my friends use spincasts and love them. The love them even as the lose arrows and they talk about needing a replacement reel or fixing thier old one. heh heh heh....

They're certainly not a waste of money. If you bought one and hated it... I'd buy it off of you. ;)

Fishhunter 02-15-2006 06:21 PM

The line flows free between two wheels. When you pull the trigger, you pinch one wheel against the other. Then, when you crank, you turn one wheel and it feeds the line back into the bottle. Very simple, so very little to go wrong. I bowfish an average of three days a week in the summer, and the only problem I've had is the screw come off that holds the crank handle on. I love them, but some who shoot tournies prefer a spincast for faster retrieves and followup shots.

slim23 02-16-2006 08:13 AM

i shoot a spincast(synergy) have shot a retreiver. we used them almost exclusivley when we went to texas and the weeks leading up to the trip to get used to them. the problem i have with them is line retreival. I lock down the drag on my reel when we are in all but the biggest fish. we shoot out of a boat and move pretty fast andusualy at night for numbers. i like being able reel up tight then yank to get stuck arrows out of the mud and to horse fish in.

Bulzeye 02-16-2006 11:15 AM

I currently have a spincast, but intend to also get a retreiver in the next year or two. Gotta have a bit of everything, don't ya know?

One more spincast CON:
*The line is thin and can cut your hands if you get a big one while you're not wearing gloves, and he runs hard. With the short fishing pole mount however, you can fight the fish pretty well without using your hands.

One more Retreiver CON:
*Since the line is loose and just hangs there until you shoot, there will be plenty of opportunity for it to snag on vegetation and stuff, especially when you are shooting from shore.

They are both great tools. I got my spincast first mainly for3 reasons:
*Cheaper initial cost. (I've only lost one arrow when the line got hung up on the reel handle, andI don't forget to hit the bail release button very often because I have included that in my routine right before each shot.)
I actually got the arrow back, but it involved some waderless wading and a wet car seat. :D

*Speed of take up. Great for second shots on tough to hit fish, like deep ones, small quillbacks,skinny little gar, and any fish when there is poor light, or when you're being eaten by mosquitoes, or being pushed into the fish barrel by Christine. :eek:

*Line retention. Since I shoot mainly from shore, I like my line to stay where I left it. When I draw on the first fish I've seen in a hour, the last thing I want to see is my line trailing off down the path I just walked. [:@]

It's a personal choice. Good info here to help you decide.

Fishhunter 02-16-2006 09:24 PM

One more Retreiver CON:
*Since the line is loose and just hangs there until you shoot, there will be plenty of opportunity for it to snag on vegetation and stuff, especially when you are shooting from shore.
Not a problem any more. Mine has a little notch to slip the line into to hold it from looping down. I don't think the older ones have it. Mine is about 3-4 years old.

bowtech die hard 02-20-2006 11:18 PM

I've got an AMS and I WILL NEVER SWITCH.

Sewer Rat 02-26-2006 10:41 AM

I got a zebco.... have used them for almost 20 yrs.... am on my second or third now.... great for the carp back home and the talapia down here in FL..... although, I want to get into the larger game (alligator n stingrays) this year.. so think the ol zebco is a lil undergunned LOL

Fishhunter 02-26-2006 04:54 PM

Yo, Ratface, we're shooting them with a bow, not catching them with rod and reel.

When you going to go to Branson?

Bulzeye 03-01-2006 11:34 AM

Not a problem any more. Mine has a little notch to slip the line into to hold it from looping down.
I haven't seen the new one yet. I think that's a great upgrade.