Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 AMS.. reel waste of money? >

AMS.. reel waste of money?

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

AMS.. reel waste of money?

Old 03-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: AMS.. reel waste of money?

Well I'm taking the gamble and ordering a AMS reel right now (wish we had a bass pro close byBut im gonna put the ole 808 on vacation right now untill I've tried the retriever reel.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sure you'll be happy with the retriever.

Two quick tips. You don't have to pull the trigger really hard to retrieve the line. Experiment with different amounts of tension. (if a fish is fighting hard, you'll need lots of tension, to bring inslack line, just a little)

When reeling in line, particularly when you're bringing in a fish, I've found it helps to point the retriever at the fish (so the line comes in straight). Trying to reel in line at a 90degree angle doesn't work too good.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

and, get heavier line. The wheels pick up thicker line better than what comes with the reel.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

and, get heavier line.
I haven't heard that peice of advice yet Fishhunter, but as I said, I don't have a retreiver yet. What does it come with, and what do you suggest?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:54 AM

It's the ongoing debate, both have their pros and cons. I personally shoot a spincast, the new Muzzy reel, and would never go back to the retriever and I shot the retriever for probably 5 years before I finally switched. I'm into speed and hate having all that line falling everywhere with the retriever. But both are very good and have their place.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

I don't have line falling all over everywhere. There's a notch on the reel to tuck the line into to keep it from falling out between shots.

Muzzy makes a heavier line, usually yellow. I get all mine from the local shop.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Well I cant wait to go try the new reel out hopefully next weekend. But im defiently glad I ordered one. I'll let yall know what I think about it on mynext trip.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:33 AM

If i am out hunting big fish only i would perfer the Retriver,but for tournaments and small fish hunting w will use the Zebco,
Old 03-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Spike

I've used the drum, spincast and AMS, and each has its place. The drum is cheap and simple; no moving parts and you do all the work. Spincasts are pretty nice, the fastest of all to shoot with and the sound of a screaming drag is always a thrill. Just GOTTA remember to keep pushing that $^%# button. Bump the handle and it can cost you an arrow. Nothing shoots as nice as an AMS, andit's plenty fast for most fishing. Pulling the fish in by hand is more exciting than reeling, but the AMS will reel them in, too. If you find your line getting snagged in the grass, just reel it in tight and hold the trigger while you walk. I like my AMS.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:40 AM

Check out this page,It is my set up for going after big fish such as Gar,I made the wraparound out of 7 in.PVC pipe,When that 409 Penn is screaming you know that you have a good one,i love the fight with the reel,For get the hand fighting or chaceing jugs around,

http://www.prismnet.com/~timmckee/tips.htm