Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 adjusting for bowfishing arrows? >

adjusting for bowfishing arrows?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

adjusting for bowfishing arrows?

Old 02-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default adjusting for bowfishing arrows?

I was thinking of doing some bowfishing this summer, and just getting the kit from the local sporting goods shop that connects right to my regular bow. I was wondering how much if any you have to adjust your sights when you're shooting the much heavier bowfishing arrows. Thanks alot
Old 02-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: adjusting for bowfishing arrows?

Most likely your sights will be way off for the fish arrow. My fish arrow weighs about 1,465 grains. []

That's okay though, because most people shoot at fish without using sights. The best way to practice shooting at fish is to get out and shoot at stuff in the water. (floating debris, a tennis ball, carp)

I would just practice until you can point and shoot your bow without the sights. (it's not that hard, trust me)

Also, the shootingdistance for bowfishing is more likely to be measured in feet than yards. 10 feet, 15 feet... it's close range stuff.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Get rid of the sites, and adjust your nock point so your arrow points down just a little bit. And crank down the poundage. Best would be to get an old bow to use - some cheapy you won't mind geting mucked.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used sights on any bow I've used for fishing, even though I do use them for deer.

Fishingarrows are very heavy and very stiff compared to all other kinds.
I've seen several bows launch them at a 45 degree angle sideways before adjusting for the difference in spine.

For safety, use cabled arrows or safety slides from AMS to prevent snapback. Your kit may already have them installed on the arrows. The slides are little black collars that provide a place to attach the string, and they can slide up and down the arrow shaft. They let you keep the string in front of the bow at full draw so the line can't get snagged on the bow or bowstring.

Good Fishing!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i practiced shooting at those tiny little baby fish that are only like 2 inches long. i never could hit one though....
Old 02-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

Dont feel bad white i have never hit one of those little suckers either...lol like everyone said i think you dump the sights youll find you hit more fish.....
Old 02-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Fork Horn

Who needs sites anyways? Once for laughs I took my bowfishing bow regular arrows, reel and line, attachedto the bow(not to the arrows though) to a 4-h archery contest and got first place without sites and expensive equiptment, needless to say me and my bow got some dirty looks from the kids with the $700 bows and proffesional sponsors. I just concentrate on where I want the arrow to go and then pull and release, Hey it works for me and I've got a trophy to prove it.