HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   My first Gator Season is over... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/111489-my-first-gator-season-over.html)

fl.huntress 09-04-2005 12:34 AM

My first Gator Season is over...

but i had a blast!!!

tonight was a lil different...we were using a jonboat instead of the airboat and it was just my nephew and me...same method: harpoon, cut spine, and scramble brains....at first it was kinda slow cause all the gators were in this really thick hydrilla which only the airboat can go through so we were huntin' open waters and edges....the gators were really spooked compared to the other night so as soon as you'd get close they'd go under...a couple hours went by and i blew one shot on about a 8 or 9 footer....the jiggy thing didn't stick :cry: ...then a few minutes later we see a decent one and i go for it again....this time making a great hit :lol: .....next thing you know i've got rope zingin' out of my hands...now i know the true meaning of "rope burn"...lol. :oops: ....we recovered the harpoon stick and started after my gator.....when we got to him he was not a happy lil camper....he was fightin' way more than my first one...at one point he even bit the side of the boat :o ...that was frickin' cool as anything but waaaay scarey at the same time :lol: ....got him tired out and pulled him up on the side of the boat...i did the final deeds and then said my thank you's....on the way back in we ran into some buddies of my nephew's, they were bringin' in a 7.5ft. gator...it was a family (very cool)...the lil boy asked my nephew to help kill it so we tied up to their boat and he showed the lil guy how to do it like "he does it"....it was really cool seein' kids get into huntin' like that. :lol: ....as we were all sittin' there lettin' their gator bleed out (so it didn't ruin their beautiful pontoon boat...lol)....we had some other guys pull up to check on everyone, just seein' if we were all ok...then they were all talkin' about how there were some idiots over there tryin' to harpoon a gator :o ....i couldn't help myself but i interrupted and told them that was how i got the 8ft. gator next to me.....it was a classic moment...i know huntnma will appreciate it...lol. :lol:
so now my first gator season is complete....i didn't think i'd ever hunt gators, never thought it was in me but i really enjoyed the whole experience...i don't know if i'm gonna apply anymore because it's so costly but it's something i'll always remember...next year huntnma can apply and i'll video her hunt. :lol:
pics will have to wait until i call huntnma :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

huntnma 09-04-2005 03:47 AM

RE: My first Gator Season is over...

congrats, thanks for calling...........[>:]

Big Game Hunter 09-04-2005 03:57 AM

Congrats!

Heres the other pics:

fl.huntress 09-04-2005 09:37 AM

huntnma,
i called you and your husband...left messages on both cells.[:-]
and i wasn't allowed to invite a third person cause the boat was too small...we were bailin' water on the way back as it was.

bgh,
thank you very much for posting the other two pics.:D

bugsNbows 09-04-2005 10:33 AM

Congrats. From my limited past experiences, the 6-7' range gators are very scrappy not to mention strong. Like all muscle! Good job. Glad all went well for you.

PA Bow/Flinter 09-04-2005 05:09 PM

Congrats!! Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Rebel Hog 09-04-2005 05:48 PM

Great, them there are gooooood eating. Great job!,

ranchand99 09-04-2005 08:53 PM

Nice one's!!I might have to get some advice from you next year,on harpooning..I got rejected this year here in Ga.

fl.huntress 09-04-2005 08:56 PM

florida still has a buttload of permits left....for october...maybe you should try for down here.

A.D.D. BOY 09-05-2005 11:57 AM

I thought you were talking about gator gar. Thats cool tho. Just didnt like the part were you let it bleed to death.