Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 Talapia in Central Florida >

Talapia in Central Florida

Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

Talapia in Central Florida

Old 09-03-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Talapia in Central Florida

Anyone know a good place to bowfish Talapia in Central Florida? I've been told that you fish the channels, but not familiar with exactly where you can do this with any success.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default RE: Talapia in Central Florida

Try Lake George in late winter. The perch are usually around the springs because of the warmer water. Silver Glen, Salt Springs are my favorites.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:34 PM

funny you asked, im actually cooking talapia later for dinner.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

BB, yeah the cannels down south fl off US41have plenty.

Ha! Ha! Talapia (Sewer Trout)
Old 09-11-2005, 10:40 AM

mmmm. this stuff is delicious
Old 09-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

you can try lake winder (south of poinsett)...my nephew gets some now and then when he's trappin' gators.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 PM

Tilapia is what I primarily bowfish for here in SW Florida. Canal's have been what I have found to be the best. They are fairly shallow and have weeds which Tilapia tend to like. I have found lakes to be hard to find Tilapia in. Good luck and I must say Tilapia is defanitely some fine eats!!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:23 PM

I know this is probably a stupid question, but can you tell me what to look for to identify them so I don't end up shooting something illegal.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:15 AM

Most of the freshwater fish in my area are different shapes and colors. Obviously your panfish are quite small, bass are very distinctive and I have yet to see a cat while bowfishing. Gar down here are not worth taking way to small and if you see a bowfin I would recomend taking it just to remove them from your waters. Tilapia are a wide fish from dorsal fin to bottom unlike a bass. They tend to almost look redish in the water and have distinctive stripes on there side that run up and down not the length of their body. They are similar in shape to a panfish just alot larger. Tilapia also bolt when they see you, they are a naturally skittish fish. Bass and panfish will usually just hang out and do not tend to be scared but Tilapia will run as soon as they spot you. You have to be quick to kill them. They are a great challenge to bowfish for. Here is a picture of an average sized fish I killed with my son. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know. These are about all I bowfish for I know our areas are different but I am sure the fish act the same.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:50 AM

Thanks for all the info!!

Quick Reply: Talapia in Central Florida

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.