Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 best bow for bowfishing >

best bow for bowfishing

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

best bow for bowfishing

Old 06-30-2005, 06:32 PM

Default best bow for bowfishing

what is a good cheap bow. would a recurve work?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best bow for bowfishing

IMHO, recurves are the way to go. You can shoot faster than you could with a compound. But compounds are great too. I'd recommend a recurve at 40-45 pounds. That way you can shoot alot and not get as tired as if you had a heavier-weight bow.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

I personally prefer a 50# recurve. Ifeel more confident with the few extra pounds on the longer shots. However, I'm not a small person and pulling 50# is nothing for me. My son shot a 40# for a few years and now shoots 45# and has no trouble getting fish (as long as he can hit them).
Old 07-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too love my 45# recurve for bowfishing.
The one I have is old and solid fiberglass with no mounting holes at all.
I had to rig it so I could mount my reel, so I'll upgrade in a few years toa modern take-down recurve of the same weight that will accept accessories more readily.
The recurve's main advantages are asmooth draw,the ability to snap-shoot very quickly, it's very light to carry and you don't have to draw back all the way if you are shooting where there is a decent chance you'll hit a submerged branch or rock.

Oniedas (sp?) are also very popular with bowfishermen. With their smooth draw and single string they provide minimal cables for the bowstring to become entangled in causing snapback. http://www.amsbowfishing.com/bowfishwarning.php?osCsid=58c01df9e8d12b74418fcc8e 2d455a33
Although I have not shot one, I hear there is a trick where you can prop the lower limb against your leg when at full draw to take the tension off so you can hold longer.

Compounds are used too. Useful for long and deep shots at big fish, they have their advantages too. Since they are heavy to hold all day, they are not my preference, but they'll get you plenty of fish. I've found that compounds with medium and hard cams take too long to draw, and you may miss shot opportunites. Sometimes the fish is only visible for seconds, and he'll be gone by the time you draw, wait for the cam to roll over, anchor, get a sight picture, and are ready torelease. If you want to use a compound, I'd recommend round wheels or soft cams.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:47 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Like the others I think a recurve is better. I just picked up a Bear 76er takedown recurve off of ebay for $60. This should be the ultimate bowfishing machine. It has a metal riser and fiberglass limbs, when it gets bloody and slimy just dunk it and wash it off. 22 inches when down and 58 when together and 45# draw weight. I'll let you know how it works when I get is set up. There are always some on ebay and go from $60-$120.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Mine's wood I got for $25. No hesitation to drill tw hles through the riser to mount a retriever using #10 bolts.

Bulzeye, My son's first recurve was 40# solid fiberglass. We taped some old innertube around the riser, then mounted a retriever with hose clamps. It held up under 20# fish (those were the biggest he got that year).
Old 07-07-2005, 07:15 AM

Unlike most replies so far, I prefer a compound. I shoot a low letoff, soft cam. I keep 2 in the boat all the time, one low draw wt and one high draw wt.

I always post a bet, and do so here, that I can shoot my compounds at least as fast as any recurve, or faster. That includes snap shooting and half draws.

A case of your favorite beverage up for grabs...any takers?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

I gave up my compound because of the weight, not the shooting speed. I go after bigheads by day on the Missouri and Osage. After 5 hours, that compound got real heavy.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

...wimp...

[8D]
Old 07-07-2005, 11:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I plan on using my compound

Quick Reply: best bow for bowfishing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.