HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowfishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing-51/)
-   -   Anyone up to answering some newbie questions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowfishing/100957-anyone-up-answering-some-newbie-questions.html)

Deerslayer_37 05-22-2005 07:09 PM

Anyone up to answering some newbie questions?

Well, after a spearing expedition, im inspired to start bowfishing. This is one of the few types of hunting im completely clueless about. Basically, I have two bows right now: My 70 lb Mathews LX(no way im taking that out in the boat) and a PSE Nova two cam 60 lb. however, from what ive been reading, even 50 lbs can be overkill. I can afford to maybe spend $250 on a special rig(all accessories including) for bowfishing the way my budget for the summer is looking. What does $250 or 300 get me? Or can i get by with dropping my PSE down to 50 lbs and just adding some acessories? I know where to find fish to shoot and that, its just the means of getting them. If i decide bowfishing is going to be too complicated or too expensive, im just going to go with a spear. I just really think this could be another way i could enjoy the outdoors and would love to try it. Any advice or help is appreciated, thanks in advance

slayer

Fishhunter 05-22-2005 08:25 PM

RE: Anyone up to answering some newbie questions?

50# is fine. Personally, I would get a cheap 50# recurve off e-bay. Add a retriever reel and a couple arrows with ams safety slides. put a set of no-gluvs on the string and have fun.

HNI_Christine 05-22-2005 08:33 PM

I'd just drop your PSE down to 50lbs if I were you. 50lbs is fine.

(the main reason people go lighter is so you don't over-penetrate fish, mud, roots...etc..)

First you'll need some sort of line holder. A hand-wrap reel is most basic. I'd advise upgrading to a retriever reel or a closed face reel. (personally, I like the retrievers... but its a Ford vs Chevy kind of thing) (Chevy!!) ;)

Get some fish arrows with decent points. A basic white 'glass shaft is good and fairly cheap. (don't get the flimsy cheap shafts with the plastic fletch if you can avoid them) I'm currently using a Muzzy carbon fiber shaft with the muzzy magnum point. ($23.00) It's a great arrow... but I find myself passing on shots where there are lots of submergered branches or roots... 'cuz at 23 bucks... I don't want to lose my arrow. [:o]

Because I have a retreiver reel I use the extra heavy line. If I do snag up on something... I'll pull the boat over to the arrow before the line even thinks about breaking... and it won't cut your hands up like the thin line in the closed face reels.

I really, really recommend using 'safety slides' on you arrow. Or use a cabled arrow. Some people still tie to the back of their arrows... but if you get a 'snapback' you'll be unhappy that you tied to the back of the arrow.

A stout rest is needed to support that heavy arrow. Some people just shoot off the shelf. Others make their own rests with epoxy. I use a roller rest.

Eventually, you'll need a boat. Then a bigger boat. Then a light set-up and a generator. Maybe a fan motor too...

heh heh heh..

Welcome to the world of bowfishing...

:D

K2SOCO 05-23-2005 08:39 AM

I started off using a PSE Nova myself. I was fine at first, until I used my first recurve for bowfishing. I then sold my PSE and bought a recurve for like $50. It is 45#. Bowfishing is basic instinctive shooting and you have to be quick. Compounds seem to limit me, recurves do not. I agree with fishhunter. Recurves are just harder to set up. PSE sells a bow called the Kingfisher that can be purchased in a kit for a little over $200 with the retreiver reel, 2 muzzy arrows, and slides. Check Bass Pro Shops. I have been useing it lately, it seems to be working out fine. It is just heavier than a standard recurve. It is a 3 piece design with the limbs and riser being made of aluminum rather than wood. Makes it easier to pack and transport as well. Once you start bowfishing you will not want to stop, it is relativly inexpensive and far from complicated. Just do not give up!

Bulzeye 05-23-2005 11:01 AM

For starting out, just crank down your PSE a bit, and add accessories to it, like the reels and rests mentioned above for under $100 total. Then, if you find you want to switch to a recurve, just move the accessories to the new bow. No investment lost. There is onemore rest that I like the look of, but haven't tried. It's the 'fishhook' by Muzzy.

Very few bowfishers use any kind of sight.
Shots are short so learning to instinct shoot is no big deal.

Bowfishing can really be a speed game, especially when you shoot from a boat.
Fish will appear out of nowhere, sometimes right next to you, and then disappeaer just as quickly.
Sometimes you can only make out a shadow or part of an outline, and you'll have to shoot before it fades away.
It's a great combination of hunting and fishing.

I'll PM you with some contaact info for some guys in Wisconsin, and for the Illinois State Bowfishers, in case you get down our way.

Techy 05-23-2005 11:14 AM

Yard Sales and ebay are the places to find bows. It doesn't need to be anything nice. They take a beating it the boat any way. The best poundage is 35-45 lbs. I like about 45 lbs. Too much poundage and you start to lose arrows in roots, logs, and mud. My buddy shoots everything with a 35 lb kids bow and he loves it. I shot about a 45 lb golden eagle, but I just got a 40# recurve to play with.

Good luck;)

Allseasonhunter7 05-23-2005 05:28 PM

they sumed it up good but the bow you have is fine and
if any further ?'s go to www.bowfishingsociety.com im in there under tcooll77 as well as amanita verna if youare going to purchase something try sullysbowfishing.com ithink it is but thats the name of the place if its not sullysbowfishing.com type sullysbowfishing in at a search engine

Fishhunter 05-23-2005 06:11 PM

and if you see a boat flying the Jolly Roger, run the other way as fast as you can.

RobinAim Low 06-03-2005 10:45 AM

I have a 2 yr old Renegade set up that I would sell for your price range.

It is 28 in draw and 50 lbs. I have several Renegades in the boat at any given time. This one is not getting much use at all, so thought I would go ahead and sell it.

You can email me at [email protected] if you like.