HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Blades (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blades-116/)
-   -   Some old upcycles (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blades/414446-some-old-upcycles.html)

rockport 06-22-2017 08:52 AM

Some old upcycles

1. old hickory butcher knife
2. Green river Hunter
3. Green river buffalo skinner

All good old 1095 steel re profiled and micarta scales added

JagMagMan 06-25-2017 11:49 AM

I like the Old Hickory knives for upgrading!

Oldtimr 06-25-2017 12:29 PM

I have been looking at the Green rive knife kits in my Crazy Crow catalog. I have been thinking about building one.

rockport 06-26-2017 06:27 AM

You really can't beat them. The steal is just right as far as holding a good edge but not being so hard it take forever to sharpen.

I would definitely recommend ordering a couple pieces of micarta for the handle. It cost about $7-$10 and is a huge upgrade.

The old hickorys are fun to and for $10 you can buy one and turn it into about whatever you want. The Green rivers are a little more but are better blades.

The "buffalo skinner", "beef skinner" and "lamb skinner" are 1/8 thick and the rest are thinner.

The "hunter" makes for a great all around blade.

Oldtimr 06-26-2017 07:19 AM

Thanks Rocky, the catalog also carries Green River finished knives and kits as well.

rockport 06-26-2017 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4308910)
Thanks Rocky, the catalog also carries Green River finished knives and kits as well.

Yeah, I think they also offer some different handle material too, like bone, buffalo horn etc.

Ive heard crazy crow is a good place to order. I usually get mine on Ebay when I find them cheap I'll buy them in bulk and try all kinds of different designs.

The wood scales are not terrible but they take on water and swell.

If you are interested in a Nessmuk type design which I really like the buffalo Skinner is perfect. With the 1/8 thick blade with a little work you can pretty easily create something for around $20-$25 that would otherwise easily be $100 knife.

I don't care for rivets either which is what the kits come with. I buy the handle material and brass rods then peen them on.

Oldtimr 06-26-2017 08:14 AM

I make native American reproductions so I buy a lot of stuff from Crazy Crow. Like these:

Thanks for the advice.

rockport 06-26-2017 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4308918)
I make native American reproductions so I buy a lot of stuff from Crazy Crow. Like these:

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah Ive seen pictures of those before..pretty cool.

rockport 06-26-2017 08:46 AM

Here are some more. They have all been well used and some are still a work in progress

Oldtimr 06-26-2017 09:13 AM

Whose blade is that Machete? I need a machete with more weight than the one I have. Here is Crazy Crow's web address.

This is the last lance I made, a Sioux buffalo lance with red fox instead of coyote fur. The one on the wall is an Assiniboine lance. The lance head is 6 1/2 inches shorter than the buffalo lance.