Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Machete

Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last edited by rockport; 02-03-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'll have to try to remember to take a picture of mine... no idea what it is but my father brought it back from peru when he was there. I've used it for clearing fourwheeler trails and shooting lanes for about 10 or 12 years now and it's been good to me! If I think about it I'll snap a picture tomorrow. Good looking collection there rock
-Jake
Old 02-04-2017, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Couple of them puppies I wouldn't call machetes. Them's butcher knives to me! 2nd and 3rd up from bottom.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really detest a bad tool, I've got more than a few I used once and have been hanging in the shed for decades.

All of my shovels have the sides sharpened, they work for most of the small stuff. Darned Blackberry thickets are hard going, when the canes dry they can be really hard to cut.

The Bolo shape looks like a winner, hope it works better than what I have.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Couple of them puppies I wouldn't call machetes. Them's butcher knives to me! 2nd and 3rd up from bottom.
Yeah that is what I use some of them for a lot.

They cost me like $7 and are made of good steel. 1070 I think.

Just butterflied a pork loin with one last night.

You know the $1.68/lb pork loin you get right nest to the $4.99/lb pork chops at the grocery store....
Old 02-04-2017, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I really detest a bad tool, I've got more than a few I used once and have been hanging in the shed for decades.

All of my shovels have the sides sharpened, they work for most of the small stuff. Darned Blackberry thickets are hard going, when the canes dry they can be really hard to cut.

The Bolo shape looks like a winner, hope it works better than what I have.
Yeah, I would suggest either the bolo or 18" (2nd and 3rd from the top) or both as they are pretty cheap.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Yeah, I would suggest either the bolo or 18" (2nd and 3rd from the top) or both as they are pretty cheap.
They start at a round $20 here and go to around $35, everything cost more here. Won't break the bank, but kind of an expensive wall hanger.

I like my knives also, my collection is small but quality. Some I've had for near fifty years.

Thought I'd get a Tramotina 24" brush machete and a Bolo, maybe re-gift the two I have now.

Maybe use the Tramotina as a template and cut a couple from some really nice stainless flat stock I have. And add some extended handles, try them and see if they work. This chunck of stainless I have is something special, 440 will not scratch it, but it is springy.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
They start at a round $20 here and go to around $35, everything cost more here. Won't break the bank, but kind of an expensive wall hanger.

I like my knives also, my collection is small but quality. Some I've had for near fifty years.

Thought I'd get a Tramotina 24" brush machete and a Bolo, maybe re-gift the two I have now.

Maybe use the Tramotina as a template and cut a couple from some really nice stainless flat stock I have. And add some extended handles, try them and see if they work. This chunck of stainless I have is something special, 440 will not scratch it, but it is springy.
Just buy them on ebay
Old 02-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got one machete

Don't know the make of it. Posting reminded me of checking the sharpness.
Has seen a good file lately, of course. Probably waste a little time sharpening it more, on a cold February winter day. No waste of time there. Time to use it is coming. Might try it in thinning out some thin hybiscus plants. Have a garden of them.
Waiting for the first rainless or snowless day.

Have some duties cutting some small trees with an electric reciprocating saw. Use the wood as backup for burning logs. Haven't had a blackout for a few years. Have a two year supply of logs for the fire place.
Interesting, I used the saw for commercial tasks, and found it was good with small tree limbs. Got some good limbs to cut; fallen and on trees.

Last edited by Valentine; 02-07-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The trick to keeping my sawsall going when cutting/trimming green wood is to keep the blade oiled. I have a Black and Decker electric chain saw I found dumpster diving and an old antique metal case Black and Decker sawsall. For both I keep a can of Bio chain saw oil handy and dip the blade often.

I've turned many a sawsall blade into a pretzel trying to cut green wood, sap is like glue, the oil helps. I'm no newbie using a sawsall, but those raw tooth wood blades always give me the willies. A little oil really helps keeps them sawing smooth.

I really like my old tools, like old friends, I have a couple of chainsaws I bought when Reagan was President. I have a half garage/shed full of tools I've rescued, reconditioned or repaired, all of them sharp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.