Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
I want a hunting knife, someone told me to get a Benchmade Adamas >

I want a hunting knife, someone told me to get a Benchmade Adamas

Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

I want a hunting knife, someone told me to get a Benchmade Adamas

Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Spike

Default I want a hunting knife, someone told me to get a Benchmade Adamas

To pick up the folding version or the fixed blade? I prefer the folder since I have got a fixed one.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Spike

Folding blades get crap caught up in it.
Fixed blades are easier to clean.
This blade is HEAVY!!!!!!
Now lets talk about your choice in the Adamas. Those holes will be fun to get blood and guts out of. The link you posted said this person skinned and dressed game (deer) for two months with out having to sharpen it? Really??? D2 steel needs frequent oiling. If the poster cant spell check their review how are they going to keep up on other important things? I call BS. Then if you count their grammar(or lack there of) This whole review sounds sketchy. There is no way those are the pics of the same knife used for cleaning and being given such a torture test on all the massive game taken by the reviewer. Why not?
Now on to the blade design. For me I like a shorter blade with more belly for tasks such as cleaning and skinning game. Plus a separate blade with a skinning hook.

Now for the good. I actually own this blade and love it for its intended roll. EDC. Only EDC. Carries deep in the pocket tip up and can be reversed for southpaws...
Benchmade makes a lot of great blades. But for a hunting knife you can find much better options out there. And cheaper.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a large collection of knives. Some very high end. My preferred blade for cleaning deer and elk is a Gerber gator. It is a folding knife and holds an edge well. A lot of my other skinners are a little clumsy because of the size of them. I have tagged my fingers a few times with the larger ones working on a larger animal because of the wicked curve to the blade. A shorter blade is easier to control.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 119 and a 120 Buck for fixed that I really like but for a folder I like my Remington, I have gutted four deer with it over 5 years and will Sharpen it this year for the 1st time it also has a gut hook and it has a rubber type handle,I would have to go look and see what model it is but I think I paid like 79 or 89 bucks for it 6 years ago.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would not trade my Case Sharktooth folder for anything. It takes a razor edge and holds it, also guaranteed for life.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Buck knife

Buck 110 is all you will need. $35. to 40 buck's.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Gerber Profile Fine edge
Old 12-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I must have run into the EXPENSIVE Blade forum

I have a hunting knife, a hunting folding pocket knife, a small pocket knife, a gutting and skinning knife, and Arkansas tri-stones.

Must be getting old. Don't think I have $150 in all of them.
Bought the Arkansas stones on sale and discounted. Saved alot by sharpening my own knives and not expecting to buy a sharp knife that stayed sharp.

Even used the stones to sharpen the home Thanksgiving turkey knife and the Christmas ham knife.

Last edited by Valentine; 12-01-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:46 AM
Typical Buck

I got a Condor from Amazon for around $35 and it is working out very well. I haven't cleaned a deer with it yet, but I have several smaller animals and it is doing great. I can't speak as to how many animals I can clean without sharpening, as that is simply preference and honestly the amount of frustration one is willing to endure, but it seems to hold its edge very well. Full tang, high carbon steel and a hardwood handle. I finished the handle with linseed oil and it is certainly now to my liking. It is made in El Salvador, so that is a negative, but for the quality to price ratio, it is a definite winner for a skinner.... Hope it helps, BB.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Beard Buster
I got a Condor from Amazon for around $35 and it is working out very well. I haven't cleaned a deer with it yet, but I have several smaller animals and it is doing great. I can't speak as to how many animals I can clean without sharpening, as that is simply preference and honestly the amount of frustration one is willing to endure, but it seems to hold its edge very well. Full tang, high carbon steel and a hardwood handle. I finished the handle with linseed oil and it is certainly now to my liking. It is made in El Salvador, so that is a negative, but for the quality to price ratio, it is a definite winner for a skinner.... Hope it helps, BB.
Ive heard those were damn good for the money. Your absolutely right about the preference thing. I never make it completely through any large game without touching up any knife with a steel.

I guess that also depends on what people mean by "cleaning an animal". For some that means removing the guts. For me that means I'm packaging the bones for soup when I'm done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.