Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Tactical vs. Hunting Knives >

Tactical vs. Hunting Knives

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Tactical vs. Hunting Knives

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Spike

Default Tactical vs. Hunting Knives

Hi,

What are the main advantages/disadvantages and uses of a tactical knife versus a hunting knife when it comes to civilian applications (hunting etc).

There seems to be quite some interest around tactical knives from non-military people, but I never quite understood why. Wouldn't companies just market them as hunting knives if they were used for hunting purposes by civilians?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm trying to learn before I go out and buy stuff.

Cheers,

First Hunt
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here's the best answer I can give you brother.

http://www.coastportland.com/article...ctical-knives/

I make knives, and most my custom orders are for hunting knives. Every now and then someone comes up with a design they want me to build..
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Interesting... this exact same thread was posted earlier in the week by someone under the Username "Anti-Hunter," and was removed the same day.

Looks like they are trying it again... not sure what the OP is trying to get at, but there appears to be some kind of baiting going on here.

If I'm wrong, I apologize, but this thread is word for word the same.

Last edited by Psylocide; 02-01-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Trolls are every where; you can escape them.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Spike

Yeah, I was originally registered under the name 'Anti-Hunter' but was banned. I'm new to hunting and (call me stupid) it didn't occur to me that the name would cause a stir as I meant the 'unlike the conventional form' of the prefix anti, as in 'antihero.' It wasn't meant to be a jab at hunters or anything like that, as I am trying to learn the ropes myself (bowhunting). I guess I have a lot to learn about the world of hunting!

Anyway, I found the answer to my question. I've started a blog on self-reliance and minimalism and wrote an article on what I understand to be the differences. Would be great if anyone had any other ideas so I could expand it.

Oh, and when it comes to a first knife for fishing and hunting, would it be better to look into multi-tools? Or buy a specific knife for different requirements.

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,

First Hunt

Last edited by First Hunt; 02-01-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Spike

Tactical knives are a lot like tactical rifles. Absolutely ridiculous unless you are actively on tour in the military. For hunting purposes, they work but not as well as a proper skinning knife. My best advice is to get a combo knife set that includes a skinning knife, a bone saw and a caping knife. Many can be found that use one handle with interchangeable blades. Also, get a sharpening stone or some other system and learn how to use it. Multi tools are great, I've had one for 15 years and use it damn near every day. They are great to have but won't be useful for much of anything bigger than a rabbit.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Spike

Thanks for the response Patchrat!

I'll look into multi-tools. So far Leatherman seems like a pretty reputable brand.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Patchrat
Multi tools are great, They are great to have but won't be useful for much of anything bigger than a rabbit.
Seriously?

If ya can't tidy up any game bigger then a bunny you have issues.

Heck most of us can field dress a deer with a small pocketknife.

Not the tool of choice but easily workable.

define useful........
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Seriously?

If ya can't tidy up any game bigger then a bunny you have issues.

Heck most of us can field dress a deer with a small pocketknife.

Not the tool of choice but easily workable.

define useful........
Useful being able to split a breast bone.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Can you give examples of what you consider tactical and hunting knives? Might help to know what youre looking at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.