Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Ka-Bar short partially serrated pros and cons? >

Ka-Bar short partially serrated pros and cons?

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Ka-Bar short partially serrated pros and cons?

Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Spike

Default Ka-Bar short partially serrated pros and cons?

I am planning to buy the Ka-bar short utility knife, ive heard great things about it so far just wanted some feedback for some pros and cons if there are any, Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

I've got a regular Ka-Bar and I like it for what it is. It holds it's edge well and is built very well. Although I cannot get that "razor" sharp edge onto it like I can other blades. It's a novelty for me really. I use it to split deer often, and sometimes even carry it deer hunting just to do. I am not a fan of serrated blades unless you have a purpose to have one. I mostly do not. A sharp knife will do everything I need, and a serrated blade is harder to keep sharp, for me at least.
-Jake
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Spike

Thanks for responding man i really appreciate the feedback, I just want to make sure i know im getting the quality i pay for...plus it looks pretty sick!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

As far as quality goes, yes it's great. Built solid. Like I said, I cannot get that razor sharp edge on it, but I can get it sufficiently sharp for everything I need. I've heard others say they couldn't get them super sharp either. But it holds its edge well and is built very well.
For me it's a novelty knife. I use it alot, and usually get some chuckles when I pull it out for small fish and small game.
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails Ka-Bar short partially serrated pros and cons?-kbar.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Spike

Haha cool, just got mine today and out of the box its sharp bu not razor sharp like some of my other knives, but its still awesome
Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Typical Buck

IMO, serration is not needed for almost all applications. I have a Gerber saw for anything requiring serration. I have the same KA-BAR as you, Boca, and it serves me very well. Keep it by my bed when I sleep, and on my side when I hunt. 7 inches of pure ferocity... haha