Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Best knife sharpener >

Best knife sharpener

Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Best knife sharpener

Old 11-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Spike

Lansky Precision Sharpening system with 5 stones (ex. course, course, Med. Fine and ex. fine) costs about $35 and works great on all our knives. Give the fine & ex. fine an extra 10 minutes and the edge is pretty close to factory sharp.
jimsmokepole
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

+1 for the Lansky 5 stone kit. I sharpened a knife for my roommate sunday to shave your arm sharp in about 10-15 minutes and only got down to the 4th stone did not use the 5th one. Takes a little bit to figure it out but once you do it is an awesome kit. I am usually happy with the sharpness I get out of it just going to the 4th stone, but a friend of mine was jacking around with his knife and used the 15 degree edge and went all the way to the 5th stone and it was scary sharp when he was done. Highly recommend the Lansky.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arkansas shapening stones can make a knife

It's the old way. Learned from a professional cutlery man on one visit and never looked back.
Got the urge today. Resharpened, many very quickly, some fishing, hunting and personal knives today. Moved on to two butcher knives and three paring knives. I'd rather sharpen a knife than look at an expensive one.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Valentine
It's the old way. Learned from a professional cutlery man on one visit and never looked back.
Got the urge today. Resharpened, many very quickly, some fishing, hunting and personal knives today. Moved on to two butcher knives and three paring knives. I'd rather sharpen a knife than look at an expensive one.

What are ya considering the old way. To me it would mean an arkansas stone.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

I use sandpaper and a leather strop.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Spike

I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker for Everything. I have been sharpening knives for 25+ years and always used the vintage crock stick style sharpeners. The sharpmaker is just an improvement of a tried and true design. It offers a 30 degree and a 40 degree sharpening angles. You can also sharpen scissors, fish hooks, etc. They run about $50, but well worth it. I also picked up the ultra fine stones and these put a mirror polish on the edge and also add that extra hair popping edge. The also make diamond coated rods for heavy reprofiling, but I never got them. The rough brown stones will work for that, just takes some extra time.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Spike

knife sharpeners are usually hard surfaces as well as soft ones with hard granules or particles used to polish and edge of the knife. You can choose from diamond sharpeners, electrics ones and many others from a hardware store easily..
Old 08-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

an arkansas stone and a butcher steel is the best way I know how to sharpen a knife and is the cheapest. I bought a set of 3 stones mounted on cider block with a stand for 15.00 about 18 yrs ago and have yet to sharpen a knife that wasnt better than the factory edge. I learned years ago that its not the stones but how you hold the knife and the angle that puts the best edge on the knife.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Spike

I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker. I will never look at anything else, well maybe a leather strop.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

wet stone and leather strap for me.

Lansky or gatco sharpeners are both easy and effective.

A good steel is a must for touching up any knife IMO

Some like the belt ones they sell Stay sharp or something I saw was selling at cabelas for 100 bucks. A friend has a commercial version it does a nice job but he has to change the belts which to me seems kinda time consuming when I can just hone and lathe or steel. Each his own though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.