Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Fallkniven knife question >

Fallkniven knife question

Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Fallkniven knife question

Old 02-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Spike

Default Fallkniven knife question

I have been eyeing the Fallkniven F1 online and really like the looks of the knife. Problem is, I have only seen them online and have never had the opportunity to see one in person. I am looking for a great fixed blade knife for general outdoor carry (camping, hiking, etc.) and thought this one would fit the bill but would like to hear from anyone who has any experience with this knife. Would you recommend it and why?
Thanks,
Tuck
Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have bought a few of the H1 models as gifts and have got a couple for myself. Very nice knives laminated VG10 steel very well balanced and well made.They have weight behind them which I personally like, and they stay sharp. I have gotten away with skinning 2 moose with only minor sharpening afterward.I like them alot, they are something I will be proud to pass down to a family member. The F1 is very similar to the H1 I was told by the knife dealer but the H1 I was told is more of a hunting knife, and the F1 more of an all purpose knife. Both very good quality and both hold an edge. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the F1 holds a slightly better edge because of the thinner blade. But I just looked this up, VG10 laminate is great quality steel. It's Vg10 sandwhiched between 420 J2 stainless steel.So you have a very hard steel cushioned with a more flexible steel.
I'm happy with my H1's I don't think you'll be disappointed with the F1 series.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 02-23-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 AM
Spike

Hi,
I don't have an F1, but a friend does. The main reason I don't have one is because of the chip in his blade. VG10 is a great steel, but it is prone to chipping. For practcal reasons I'd rather a D2 or S30V blade. I have a D2 blade.

FWIW
Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

I too am looking at H1 and have done a lot of research and talked to a friend of mine who is a very well educated knife/blade fiend and asked him for advise in a hunting knife and the H1 was his top suggestion. I am currently shopping for one now.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Spike

After a lot of looking and reading I ended up going with a Bark River Canadian Special in 3V. At first I was put off by the finger grooves on the handle but the more I heard from people that own the knife and how much they like it I took to plung on it. I received the knife last week and while I have only used it a couple of times (skinning and wood work) I could not be happier with my choice. It did cost a bit more than the H1 or F1 but I was glad to be able to purchase an American made product. I am not saying that I will not by a Fallkniven later but for now this knife seemed to fit me better. Thank you all for comments and advice.
Tuck
Old 06-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ksigtuck
I have been eyeing the Fallkniven F1 online and really like the looks of the knife. Problem is, I have only seen them online and have never had the opportunity to see one in person. I am looking for a great fixed blade knife for general outdoor carry (camping, hiking, etc.) and thought this one would fit the bill but would like to hear from anyone who has any experience with this knife. Would you recommend it and why?
Thanks,
Tuck
For the price I'd go a Cold Steel Master Hunter. Its VG10, tough as nails, great scabard, way cheaper and a US cmopany.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

You couldn't go wrong with a fallkniven or bark river knife
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by THEMAKKER13
You couldn't go wrong with a fallkniven or bark river knife
So far I have been very pleased with the Canadian Special. Can't find anything negative to say about it. Problem now is I want more BRK's which is cutting into my gun fund.
Tuck
Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Haha. You have to find a balance! When I chose my hunting knife I got the Blind Horse Large Work Horse knife, which I love
Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by THEMAKKER13
Haha. You have to find a balance! When I chose my hunting knife I got the Blind Horse Large Work Horse knife, which I love
Blind Horse is another maker that I have my eye on. Have heard nothing but good things about them. Would really like to get my hands on one of their Bird and Trout Classics.
Tuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.