HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Blades (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blades-116/)
-   -   What knife would you buy on a budget? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blades/337273-what-knife-would-you-buy-budget.html)

flyinlowe 12-29-2010 03:14 PM

What knife would you buy on a budget?

I have a Buck Knife with a gut hook and a Schrade Ol Timer folding knife that I carry for field dressing (whitetails). The last couple of years I began processing my own deer and want to get some other knives for boning and such. A friend of mine has a couple of Old Hickory knives that he uses when he was showing me the ropes and they held an edge better then the two knives that I have, plus they sharpen rather easily. I was surprised when he told me he paid less then $10 each for the two knives. I am thinking about getting a couple but I was wandering if there are any other cheap but good knives out there I could look for. I usually kill two deer a year so they won't see a bunch of work but I have quickly learned that a sharp knife works a lot better. I wouldn't mind spending $50.00 or more for a decent knife but on the flip side of that I don't want to spend $50.00 and get a knife that is not as good as the $10.00 knife my friend uses.

Tracker II 12-30-2010 03:52 AM

I remember seeing a thread raving about Erickson Mora knives on a popular knife forum last year. One guy went as far as to say that once he spent $10 on an Erickson Mora, he realized that all other knives were overpriced.

If you go to ragweedforge.com and click on the Ragner's Swedish Knife Catalog tab, you can find a ton of knives, some of which have carbon steel blades, for as little as $10. I got a utility knife for the garage and was very impressed. They look cheap, but boy can looks be deceiving!

Hope this helps.

casey012293 01-14-2011 03:51 PM

Allot of people use regular hunting knives for skinning or gutting. When i killed my elk this year, my buddy laughed at me when i pulled my knife out. He grabbed a new knife he started using this year, havalon knives, and started hacking away at my elk. It was unbelievable how sharp the blade stayed and that if it got dull, he carried replacement blades in his pack. They worked like razor blades (havalon are basically surgical scalpels that are a little thicker than razors), and one blade did (skinned and deboned) my whole elk and skinned the skull.

This is why we started carrying them, it might not be something you are interested in but they are fair priced, blades are cheap for as long as they can be used and it is really nice not to be able to not have to spend a whole night sharpening it. Needless to say, i replaced my heavy knife with one of the new lightweight havalon.

__________________________________________________ ____
http://www.bugsnbullets.com/Havalon_...g_mid_102.html

flyinlowe 01-16-2011 05:32 AM

Do you sell these knives or do you just love them that much? You have 33 post on this site and 15 or more of them are the same response, verbatim. No shame in advertising a product.

gelarson 01-20-2011 07:16 AM

Mora is a great knife that I gave all my neices and nephews as gifts. I gave my daughters fixe blade Winchester knifes bought at Wal Mart for under $30 (in Canada). They are easy to shapen and hold a great edge.
Sitting by a camp fire in camp or watching a hunting show and sharpening my broad heads with a scotch is a ritual every bit as much as anything. I would not give it up. A knife with character is as much as who I am as the old hunting hat I use.

Eric

White Falcon 01-20-2011 01:50 PM

Look up Deadwood Knives! Free shipping also!

Daveboone 01-22-2011 04:49 AM

My friends and I use a potluck collection of knives, including hunting, Old Hickory and Chicago Cutlery knives. One of us is a professional chef, with $$$ knives to use, and he is perfectly happy using whatever we have. The key is to keep the knives for the task at hand and keep them sharp.I use my ancient Western 4" fixed blade for 70 % of my work, and the Chicago Cutlery chefs knife for most of my slicing. Dont worry about spending $ for prestige names, use what works.And keep em sharp (we hone constantly - every 5-10 minutes).

jrfrmn 01-22-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Daveboone (Post 3761824)
My friends and I use a potluck collection of knives, including hunting, Old Hickory and Chicago Cutlery knives. One of us is a professional chef, with $$$ knives to use, and he is perfectly happy using whatever we have. The key is to keep the knives for the task at hand and keep them sharp.I use my ancient Western 4" fixed blade for 70 % of my work, and the Chicago Cutlery chefs knife for most of my slicing. Dont worry about spending $ for prestige names, use what works.And keep em sharp (we hone constantly - every 5-10 minutes).

Do you hone with a stone or do you use a sharpening stick?

romat 01-24-2011 04:42 PM

To sharpen any knife I like to get the angle right with a Lansky system and then keep it like a razor with crok sticks. A friend of mine has a "Ruuko" i think name is right, around 10 bucks, was great! I fell into the name-brand trap and bought Buck and Alaska Knives.

Valentine 01-26-2011 06:23 AM

It wasn't the knife

It was becoming an expert with the Arkansas sharpening stones. Saved a lot of money over the years.

I still use a Schrade gut hooker, a Winchester pocket knife, a Schrade pocket knife, an Old Hickory paring knife, and inexpensive household knives. Oh, and I sharpen up a tomahawk using a metal file. Never replaced a grass cutter blade in over twenty years . Used metal files to keep them in cutting shape.

Thanks for your assist. I didn't think of getting a new Old Hickory knife off the internet. And I can't wait to use that Old Hickory paring knife on the next deer harvest, for this ol amateur chef to cut up the potatoes, the carrots and the venison for that next hunter's stew.